No alcohol IPA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pallyjim

Reaction score
Alright, get the jokes out early. Blah blah, it's not beer.

I recently had BrewDogs Punk IPA and loved it, then found all their recipes on their website. Interestingly I saw their Nanny State IPA, which is .5% from memory.

Has anyone ever tried something like this? Particularly with a BIAB setup?

I did a 1% APA which was drinkable (scored 34 in a comp) but it made me realise just how much alcohol contributes to mouthfeel and fullness of a brew. All the flavour was there but it just didn't feel like a beer on the way down, more life a beer flavoured soft drink.

Thanks mate, willing to share your recipe and any tweaks you'd do to it?

Its hard to grasp as to why? If I gave up alc then there is a million other better tasting things to drink. Even just water!

If you cant or don't want to drink Alcohol then I guess its like those fake cigarettes people used as a habit substitute?
If Its not the real thing then its just not the real thing. Let it go. Or drink the real thing.

Danscraftbeer said:
Its hard to grasp as to why? If I gave up alc then there is a million other better tasting things to drink. Even just water!

If you cant or don't want to drink Alcohol then I guess its like those fake cigarettes people used as a habit substitute?
If Its not the real thing then its just not the real thing. Let it go. Or drink the real thing.
I find cider to be ghastly but plenty of people enjoy it - each to their own!

I know people with gastric and other conditions who can't tolerate much alcohol but still long for their favourite beers... So if there was a way to artificially boost the body to make a satisfying 1% hop-forward ale I'd be all over it. Gluten-free would be even better.

Can maltodextrin be used to add body in this scenario?

I can appreciate the 'each to their own' philosophy, but I'm with Dan on this one.

I've had alcohol-free beer and wine before, and I just found it wierd because you drink something that tastes like beer, but you don't feel like you've had a beer and it just doesn't add up. Part of the enjoyment of having a beer is feeling it afterwards.

For me, it goes both ways. I'm really not into alcoholic ginger beer because I don't associate it with being drunk. No way could I have a session on ginger beer.....

The simple fact that BrewDog manufacture and market a 0.5% IPA is proof that such a market exists. Personally I would be interested in something more around the 2.5% mark that you can throw a couple down and still be able drive, etc. Lots of conditions limit people from drinking full ABV drinks - pregnancy for one but then there's meds that it intereferes with - most anti-depressants, antibiotics, anti-inflammatries, etc. Pirate Life do a 3.5% IPA that I am going to throw myself at on the weekend.

Latest posts

Back