No Air Lock Bubbles...But I Think It's Fermenting?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
Hey guys

Only my third brew, did a version of DR Smurtos Golden at the weekend with US-05 yeast.

Did the usual chill down to <27 and then pitched my yeast from a starter that i had made up about an hour before and had in fridge.

That was Saturday arvo, now on Monday morning I am yet to see a bubble in the airlock, but as you can see by the picture, there is a decent krausen forming.

I took a reading with my refractometer and got 1.029 vs 1.036 when it first went in.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

photo.JPG

You had your starter in the fridge?

Is the refractometer adjusted for a reading with alcohol?

Probably not a full seal on the lid and it's taking the path of least resistance

Bit of a babe at this myself, but as the experts will likely tell you ....

Relax. It knows what to do, it's in the hands of your Yeast now.

But the starter should likely be made earlier, I believe.

I did a Stone and Wood Pacific Ale clone with that yeast and it was pretty tame all the way through. But definitely did its thing

It's fermenting fine. Forget the airlock. It's a nice piece of plastic tube that sometimes makes a noise.

I'm guessing it wasn't a "starter", rather you just rehydrated the us-05 in warm water? But what was it doing in the fridge?

Whilst this has nothing to do with a faster ferment, quite the opposite, I'd be pitching US05 closer to 18 than 27 degrees for a cleaner ferment.

carniebrew said:
I'm guessing it wasn't a "starter", rather you just rehydrated the us-05 in warm water? But what was it doing in the fridge?
Ah yeah, sorry, it was a rehydration.
I read somewhere that the yeast liquid needed to be cooler than the cooled wort (27 deg), so i chucked it in the fridge for a few minutes?

Rookie mistake?

Spiesy said:
Whilst this has nothing to do with a faster ferment, quite the opposite, I'd be pitching US05 closer to 18 than 27 degrees for a cleaner ferment.
Great tip, thanks!!

One good thing about the brew is that the Galaxy hops i added for aroma have done their job brilliantly...the smell of the sample this morning was awesome!!!

We'd gone this far without someone mentioning that particular meme, why did you have to ruin it?

All references to choking defenceless animals, based on a pretty average joke several years ago, should result in a warning. :ph34r:

use glad wrap with the rubber seal next ..No Blurp,Blurp.long as the figures change when take a sample your cool

DU99 said:
use glad wrap with the rubber seal next ..No Blurp,Blurp.long as the figures change when take a sample your cool
YEah, the numbers dropped again tonight...thanks guys!

Back