No activity in airlock...help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cammy005

Reaction score
Hello fellow beerfolk

In a bit of a pickle with our maiden brew, we went with the full all grain/mash and BIAB technique and all worked really well, however it has been sitting in the fermenter for a good part of 2 weeks now and we are yet to hear a satisfying ‘blup’ from the airlock. The fermenter is sealed with no possible air leaks, there is condensation on the lid of the fermenter and the density of the batch has changed since we initially poured the liquid goodness in so it looks like something is happening….just no ‘blup’.

Temperature wise we accidently let it get to 28 degrees on the first night (pitched yeast @ 24 degrees), then we sat it at around 16 degrees for a week, and now we have it at a cozy temperature of 25 degrees. Bit of a roller coaster I know…

Should we be worried? Is it possible that the yeast has died and needs to be re-pitched?

Cheers guys
:beer:

Condensation on the lid and the SG dropping is a sign of fermentation - and a sign of air leaks given the airlock did nothing. What was the SG sitting at when you last took a sample?

If you are using ale yeast, it's best kept around 18-20C during fermentation. Wild temp swings like that won't do it any favours.

Edit: Ignore the shit out of the airlock too, this is a classic example of how unreliable the things are, and the kind of worrying they incite. Mine never bubbled at all when I used it except on one batch, but I don't use it anymore. The grommet perished and I just taped over the hole in the lid instead.

OK, I'll be first here to suggest checking your airlock for kittens...(parochial joke)... :D

Don't worry about airlock activity - check for cessation of activity by doing a hydrometer check. Two tests 24 hours apart with the same reading means your fermentation is done & OK to bottle.

Stress less and Google your problem. You will find its been answered a million times before.

In the mean time, measure your gravity with a hydrometer and correct it for temperature.

Krausen, condensation, bubbling airlock or ballooning glad wrap are all visual indicators of yeast activity, as already mentioned though; gravity/density samples (whether hydrometer or refractometer) are the more reliable indicators.

Two weeks fermentation time it should well and truly be done but some of the UK yeast can drop out if the temperature gets too low.

Post the hydrometer readings you are getting now as well as the original readings you got before / as soon as you pitched the yeast.

If you are seeing movement from 1.050 to 1.010 and then it stays at 1.010 for a few days, you are good. If you're still in the 1.050-1.040 range after 2 weeks, you have a problem.

Thanks for the tips guys,

The OG was 1.060, stuck the hydrometer in last night and the reading was around 1.025. I guess we'll keep testing every night to get an idea when the fermentation has run its course.

If the specific gravity is going down its definitely fermenting.

Gotta like that avatar :lol:

All grain for your first brew is a big step in. Many more things subject to variance but those temperatures need refining for sure.
Be nice to your yeast they will be nice to you.

Better planning for your next brew. $0.02

Back