No Action....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jino

Reaction score
I put down a IPA can with 1.5kg of liquid malt, 25g of fuggles steeped in and the provoded ale yeast 2 days ago and i am yet to have any airlock action. It has stayed at a 22 -24 degree temp and the lid is on air tight.

Do you guys think it is a goner? any ideas what i could try to kick it in to action before i put it down to a loss?????

Measure the gravity with a hydrometer. The airlock is a really bad indicator of activity.

have you seen any krausen? (foam on top)

Worst case, go buy a packet of safale, and pitch that. It's best to rehydrate the yeast first in warm water, then pitch it.

I would measure but i busted my hydrometer yesterday and i am yet to get another one. But surely airlock action in a air tight fermenter is enough to go of as far as fermenting is concerned?.

i was thinking of going to safale tomorrow. If that does help then my lawn will have to drink it instead of me................

Double check the airlock - squeeze the sides of the fermentor gently and hold the pressure. check to see what the airlock level does - if it initially changes and then reverts to an equal level you don't have a seal.

Don't really worry about it though, as jgriffin said a healthy krausen is the only sign you really need to see.

Chatty

yeah i have pushed the sides and the airlock moves and goes back to its original levels. I'll try thr safale tomorrow.

If thats what it does then you don't have a properly sealed fermentor. Have a look for foam on the top - is there any?

Chatty,

Look for the dreaded ring of scum on the liquid surface of your fermenter. Most plastic fermenters are usually translucent enough to see this from the outside. If it's difficult just shine a torch against the plastic. Most krausens start whiteish then get a black interface or upper ring a day or two into fermentation

If this scum is apparent you've got action. That notwithstanding I'd question the age of the yeast that came with your kit. Some of them sit on the shelves of (some) HB stores for too long to mention. Can't be good for the yeast. :(

Chances are that you've just got a poorly sealing **please note aren't they all** fermenter and you're just not gassing through the airlock.

hey whoah brudder - i'm not the one having trouble here! I'm trying to be helpful :p

Chatty

Sorry 'bout that Chatty :blink:

'Twas meant to be Jino - :unsure:

Scusemwa! :)

Warren -

Hey, Jino. Howzitgoin'?

Mate, you are doing the right thing with the recipe. Malt + hops is good.
But... Jino, the standard yeast is not usually up to it. You need a liquid culture, or to culture up your dry yeast into a 1.25 PET overnight, before starting your brew. You can pitch enough yeast then.
The stage you are at will probably require some liquid (maybe specialty) yeast soon. I recognise the symptoms.
Anyone wanna back me up on this? (yeast or symptoms).
Sethule-ism

I thought squeezing the sides and air being pushed through the airlock would mena a sealed fermenter? But if not then i have learnt something.

i asked at the HB shop if the yeast would be ok for it and they said it would be fine, i was a little uncertain at the time. I think i'll go see them (or maybe another better one up the road) and get some liquid yeast. I have never used liquid yeast before so hope it all goes ok. Would you think that because it has been in there for 3 days now it would still be ok????

The idea of testing seal is to press on the sides and hold. The level in the airlock should remain constant as pressure inside remains constant. If there's a leak the pressures will equalise whilst you're keeping pressure on the sides...

Jino,
First things first...Is there a dark ring of scum visible inside the fermentor?
If so, the yeast has been working, but the fermentor seal hasn't.
If there is no visible "tide mark" (krausen mark) inside the fermentor, the yeast has gone to sleep or carked it.
I usually test the seal by pressing gently on the lid, rather than the sides.
I would have thought that after 3 daze, there would have been some yeast growth/ fermentation, unless the yeast was not viable.
Mate, if there is a Krausen mark, grab yourself a new hydrometer and check the gravity. You may find that your beer is fine, and maybe close to bottling time soon.
Sethule

i've checked the seal and it is air tight and the airlock is doing as it should when i press on the lid that would show it being air tight.

There is a small amount of krausen but not nearly as much as my previous IPA's have had. I will get a new hydrometer and check and if so i'll rack and leave for kegging.

Thanks all for the help. i'll let ya know how it goes.

Got a new hydometer and the reading was 1020....

Have no idea what the OG was cause i couldn't find my hydrometer at the time.

Pitched some more yeats in yesterday and about 20 hours later it is bubling away nicely.

Thanks all for the help.

If it's 1.020, I'd suggest that your yeast has been working. In fact, given the recipe, the original yeast seems to have done most of the work already. I'd estimate that your OG was about 1.042.

yeah that was my thought as well. I supose in that case i shouldn't have added the other yeast should i?!

oh well i'll see how it turns out i guess..........

Back