Nitrous Oxide Regulators

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Retro Ghetto Meister
Reaction score
I found a couple of small nitrous oxide regulators here in a store room at work. At a glance the thread and coupler looks very similar to a CO2 regulator. If it is indeed the same size and is compatible with a CO2 cylinder is there any reason why i cant use it with my keg setup (ie is it strong enough for the pressure etc?). Due to the size of the reg, i was thinking of mating it up with a sodastream bottle for a portible setup.

I have also noticed some small compressed air regs at supercheap auto for around $5, They have a standard 1/2 inch thread on them. was wondering if there would be a problem using one of these if i could fabricate the correct adapter.

Comments anyone??
Tim

Tim, I would hang on to those nitrous oxide regs and see if you can get hold of a cylinder of the gas. Gas up a keg with nitrous oxide - it should be a bit of a laugh - seriously!

Wes

Nice one Wes...... Long-time-no-hear, hope all's good in the grain world.

The supercheap auto regs you speak of Tim are "low pressure regulators". Designed for lower pressure applications downstream from the main regulator (when used with CO2 anyway). They are a great way get different carbonation levels in several kegs off the one Co2 source. Just tee a few of these regulators of your main gas line to each keg...

Asher for now

Tim,
Those small air regs will blow the "O" ring out the back at CO2 bottle pressure which is about 1000kpa. This happens in the middle of an important pool shot or at 2AM and the house thinks world war 3 has started (I speak from experience here). They are fine if you are running a second keg and you wish to tap off the low pressure side to say drive a low carbonated ale and a nice bright lager together.
I know nothing about N2O regs but if the N2O is stored in the bottle at any pressure near or greater than the CO2 it should work

just an update and the N2O regulater is not actually a regulater but an elaborate pressure guage. More interesting to note is that the thread and coupling nut are the same size as a soda stream bottle. I was going to use it to make an adapter, but realised it is easier just to buy one and a proper CO2 reg.
I'll hang onto it though, might come in useful.
Thanks for the info about the low pressure regs to guys.
Tim

Latest posts

Back