Nitro Beer Gas - Non Rental

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbowzky1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So this post is basically what ive found when it comes to getting a 70/30 nitrogen beer gas set up at home. Elgas, supergas, BOC all want to rent you a stupidly big bottle at a ridiculous price plus a change over/refill fee. After some extensive research calling and negotiating I've found the solution to all our beer (mixed gas) gas needs.

Firstly I'd just like to say this is more directed at Melbourne home brewers though any eastern state brewer may find contents beneficial.

So our friends at speed gas are able to start a bottle pool.... on bottles as small as D size (6kg) of multimix, cellermix, etc

So I've negotiated with
Gasweld Dandenong South.
Unit 1/9-11 CNR South Link & South Gippsland Highway
DANDENONG SOUTH VIC 3175
TEL: 03 9799 3188
A reseller of speedgas.
They are happy to transfer bottles up and down the coast at no charge.

So the important parts.
Speed gas in Manly beaches will do a D size bottle outright for 280 and 40 for refills.
Gas weld in Dandynong VIC will
1. Transport the bottles
2. Cover all transport inspection and refurbishment costs
3. Sell bottles outright and provide refills by means of a bottle pool scheme

So the prices.
Well I've already bought mine but this is where you boys come into it.
For 1 person
Bottle = 335 and refill = 95
For 5-10 people
Bottle = 325 and refill = 65
For 15-20 people
Bottle = 300 and refill = 50

I hope this has been of benefit and for those wanting to own there own nitro beer set up bottle like me .

Cheers

Well, you've certainly sparked my interest...

How will this work, they're going to set up a special pool for AHB? So we all need to get in at once, then work from there?

So speed gas in Manly beaches are gas welds supplier.
Speed gas has agreed to do mixed gas in cylender down to D size.
Speed gas however wount do the pool or shipment to private customers in VIC.
So I found gas weld who are a reseller for speed gas and they have agreed to take care of all the shipping bottle pools and so forth.

My first bottle cost me the bomb cause I'm a single person, though what I'm trying to do is help out others like me. The more of you that get involved the more discount he will apply till we basically at wholesale price. Whether that be all at once or just as more and more buy the end price continues to drop (As his quoted prices are based on overall pool size)

And in turn when I go to get my bottle refilled I'll wount be paying such a high premium.

The details for them was copied in above. You can call them and let them know Beau told you and they can confirm the finer details.

I really do think this is a great opportunity for us home brewers to break that mixed gas rental cycle :)

Last edited:
Grain and Grape in yarrville melbourne VIC have also been made awear of this opportunity and hopefully it is financially viable for them to bring personally owned mixed gas pools to their stores for the benifit of us home brewers :)

This is awesome news. Possibly interested in 2. Btw would VTs be a better option??

I would be picking up from dandy.

And would the pool bottles be type 30 or type 50 valve???

Last edited:
VTs are a big bottle. Ya gotta remember ya buying this bottle outright. So might cost ya twice as much up front. He does definatly have E size available at 100 extra upfront and 20 bucks more a refill. At initial pricing.

I'm pretty sure the bottles will be a type 30 as its a nitrogen mix though I can find out more on this. The bottle I got is type 30 as I'm using the keg king MKIII regulator.

Not sure about you but I'd generally have 2 kegs under nitro and 4 under CO2. I may drink tops 2-4 beers a night on average and might entertain once a month. Also I'm only home 12 days a month so a D size 70/30 mix would last me 6-12 months depending on how many nitros I drink.

Yeah pick up in Dandynong is the best I could work out in that front. At least we found a way to get them from Sydney to Melbourne and to the private customer for keepsies

Fair enough.

Your pretty much right about usage. I would even consider running 2 parallel regs of beergas on 2 pressures however 2 cylinders on the other hand provides good redundency.. VTs whilst bigger are a lot more practical height wise E are very tall. But your point regarding initial cost is well taken.

I know its a year ago but how did this all pan out, is it still possible to buy the Co2/nitrogen bottles outright and get them refilled in Melbourne?

sorry to hijack but I bought this bottle off a bloke on gumtree a few years back, he said there was no problems getting a refill. but does anyone know by looking at this bottle if that's the case? There's a few pics in my gallery https://aussiehomebrewer.com/media/albums/big-bottle-of-beer-gas.1556/

full

sorry to hijack but I bought this bottle off a bloke on gumtree a few years back, he said there was no problems getting a refill. but does anyone know by looking at this bottle if that's the case? There's a few pics in my gallery https://aussiehomebrewer.com/media/albums/big-bottle-of-beer-gas.1556/

full
That bottle will be linked to somebody's account (either the person from Gumtree or someone else). Pretty sure Air Liquide are the only people who can fill/swap those, and they have barcodes which are scanned when they are swapped, which will show it's not yours.

It's owned by air liquide, and they only do rental/accounts. The guy who sold it to you didnt own it either.

I’m also interested in an update from the OP - is that arrangement still happening? And I haven’t seen anything at G&G so I assume they didn’t end up participating?

I know its a year ago but how did this all pan out, is it still possible to buy the Co2/nitrogen bottles outright and get them refilled in Melbourne?
Went to Gasweld today 17/9.18 and they do not stock the cylinders but, they can order 2 bottles at a time for $650(cough) plus $100 for refilling.
Highway robbery will be looking elsewhere!

Latest posts

Back