Nine Tales K&K recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Reaction score
Does anyone have a k&k recipe for a Nine Tales amber ale ?
I can't seem to find one by searching the forums.
Cheers,
Andrew

I think the Nine Tales moniker has only been used for the past year or so, so try searching for older recipes under the original name James Squire Amber Ale.

If no luck I'm sure someone will be able to suggest a recipe, I remember reading some a while back but can't what was in it, though I imagine some medium crystal would be included.

There's usually amber ale kit packs at your LHBS. Or you could do something simple like:

can of Coopers Real Ale
can of Coopers Amber LME
US-05 yeast

If you wanted to jazz it up steep some medium Crystal, and/or add some Willamette hops into the mix.

I've just bottled a full extract/60 minute boil amber ale with Willamette and Cascade that supposed to be in "the style" of a JSAA, but not mean to be a clone. But it's not a K&K brew as you're asking for.

Cool. Thanks guys.
I have made about 5 amber ales in the last few months but just happened to have one of the Nine Tales ones on the weekend and thought it was pretty good.
I think 2 of the AA's I made were JS clones but didn't seem to match up to the one I just had.
Maybe I'll rummage through the JS recipes and see if I can find a variation that I haven't yet tried (I'm sure there'll be plenty) ;-)
Cheers,
Andrew

carniebrew said:
There's usually amber ale kit packs at your LHBS. Or you could do something simple like:

can of Coopers Real Ale
can of Coopers Amber LME
US-05 yeast

If you wanted to jazz it up steep some medium Crystal, and/or add some Willamette hops into the mix.

I've just bottled a full extract/60 minute boil amber ale with Willamette and Cascade that supposed to be in "the style" of a JSAA, but not mean to be a clone. But it's not a K&K brew as you're asking for.
Slightly off topic I know, but any chance of a recipe carniebrew?

Cheers,

AJ

AJ80 said:
Slightly off topic I know, but any chance of a recipe carniebrew?

Cheers,

AJ
It's in the recipeDB, my "Foxxy Cleopatra Amber Ale"....like many on this site I'm missing that recipedb something bad!

Here's what I did:

Foxxy Cleopatra Amber Ale
31 IBU, 25 EBC, 25 litres in fermenter, 5% abv after bottle conditioning (bulk primed to 2.7 vols using 170gm raw sugar)

Extract:
2kg CBW Golden Light LME
1kg CBW Bavarian Wheat LME
500gm CBW Sparkling Amber DME

Steeping specialty grain (30 mins @ 65-70 degrees):
30 gm Carafa Special 3
350gm Medium Crystal 120

Hops:
12 grams Warrior @ 60 (or your preferred bittering hop to 20 IBU)
10 grams Willamette @ 20
10 grams Cascade @ 20
10 grams Willamette @ 10
10 grams Cascade @ 10

US-05 Yeast, fermented @ 18 degrees.

I did this with a 10 litre boil, adding 1kg of LME to the pot as soon as I reached the boil, the rest of the LME/DME added 5 mins before flameout (removing from heat briefly while adding extract). Chilled pot (now around 8 litres), then topped up to 25 litres.

carniebrew said:
It's in the recipeDB, my "Foxxy Cleopatra Amber Ale"....like many on this site I'm missing that recipedb something bad!

Here's what I did:

Foxxy Cleopatra Amber Ale
31 IBU, 25 EBC, 25 litres in fermenter, 5% abv after bottle conditioning (bulk primed to 2.7 vols using 170gm raw sugar)

Extract:
2kg CBW Golden Light LME
1kg CBW Bavarian Wheat LME
500gm CBW Sparkling Amber DME

Steeping specialty grain (30 mins @ 65-70 degrees):
30 gm Carafa Special 3
350gm Medium Crystal 120

Hops:
12 grams Warrior @ 60 (or your preferred bittering hop to 20 IBU)
10 grams Willamette @ 20
10 grams Cascade @ 20
10 grams Willamette @ 10
10 grams Cascade @ 10

US-05 Yeast, fermented @ 18 degrees.

I did this with a 10 litre boil, adding 1kg of LME to the pot as soon as I reached the boil, the rest of the LME/DME added 5 mins before flameout (removing from heat briefly while adding extract). Chilled pot (now around 8 litres), then topped up to 25 litres.
Thanks mate - I'm missing the database something cronic too!

Chuckie said:
Cool. Thanks guys.
I have made about 5 amber ales in the last few months but just happened to have one of the Nine Tales ones on the weekend and thought it was pretty good.
I think 2 of the AA's I made were JS clones but didn't seem to match up to the one I just had.
Maybe I'll rummage through the JS recipes and see if I can find a variation that I haven't yet tried (I'm sure there'll be plenty) ;-)
Cheers,
Andrew
To be honest Andrew, it's awful hard to make a "clone" of any commercial beer using K&K. You could probably argue it's hard enough for AG brewers to 'clone' beers too, but definitely harder when using pre-hopped kit cans. I reckon it's better to just try a recipe in the style you're after, and if you enjoy it you're onto a winner.

Why do you want to clone that its horrible

helles said:
Why do you want to clone that its horrible
Does it matter if he likes it? Not like you'll be drinking it...

I do actually like it !
Of course, having said that "Helles", what do you think i should try in an Amber Ale?
I'm always open to trying new beers :chug:
Cheers,
Andrew

Back