Nicotine Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
First there was Bath Beer, then Energy/Gurana Beer, then there was Anti-Aging Beer, and now Nicotine beer.
Give up smoking, take up drinking :lol:

Beers,
Doc

Producer says NicoShot can help drinkers stop smoking

July 5, 2005 - A German company has launched a beer, NicoShot, it claims is designed to help drinkers stop smoking.

"NicoShot is cigarette satisfaction in a beer without the smoke," according to a company press release. "For most smokers, three cans of NicoShot is comparable to an entire pack of conventional cigarettes. Best of all, there's none of the tar or carbon monoxide that comes from burning tobacco. Similar to nicotine gum, NicoShot is considered nicotine replacement therapy that provides a steady, controlled release of nicotine."

Manufacturer Nautilus GmbH Laboratoriumsbedarf said NicoShot is brewed to the German Purity Law of 1516 and contains 3 milligrams of naturally derived nicotine alkaloids, 63 calories and 4.5 carbohydrates, with 6.3% alcohol by volume per 250ml shot can. The beer is fire brewed separately and a standardized herbal extract of natural tobacco leaf of the Solanaceae nightshade family is added at the end of the brewing process.

The company press release also states: "While NicoShot can lessen cravings, it is not a 'cure' for smoking. But it can help you make changes in your lifestyle without having to walk out of the bar for a quick smoke to deal with sudden withdrawal symptoms."

This would sell well in the non-smoking sections of pubs.

No excuse for a smoke filled bar now :D - only problem I foresee is, if you drink this as a non-smoker, you might get addicted to nicotine & start craving a smoke...

Hmmm... Can see the light version already. Only 8mg of tar. :lol:

Warren -

This story has just turned up in the SMH. A few months late.

I was thinking of doing up a beer with vitamin B tablets in it. See if I could create a beer that prevents hangovers.

In the first days of brewing in colonial Australia, hops were non-existent so the early entrepreneurs used anything they could find including bush plants such as eucalyptus and also tobacco. I guess it has always been done before.

Yeah, it seems whenever someone comes up with some ingredient they found in their pantry to throw into a beer, someone has done it before...

Wortgames said:
Hmmm, I don't recall tobacco being mentioned in the reinheitsgebot...
[post="80940"][/post]​

Exactly what i thought on reading the top post :excl:

And then i scroll down to see this post(mind reading?)

Whatever happened to malt, hops water and yeast?
This is heresy ,and from a german brewer as well makes it double heresy :excl:

From the ABC.net.au news site

Nicotine beer a no go Down Under

A German company has found a unique way of combating a ban on smoking in pubs by adding nicotine to beer but such products are already banned in Australia.

The company, Nautilus, is hoping its NicoShot beer, which contains three milligrams of nicotine, will be approved within the next few months.

But there is little chance of the same happening in Australia.

Lydia Buchtmann from Food Standards Australia New Zealand says it has already addressed the issue.

"People overseas were adding nicotine to other things such as mineral water, so we thought we'd be absolutely cautious because while the Food Standards code didn't actually say you could add nicotine, it didn't actually say you couldn't," Ms Buchtmann said.

"So we've since amended that, done a safety assessment and ensured that nicotine can't be added to food or beverages."

Back