Nick's Brewhouse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikZak

Reaction score
Hey folks.

Welcome to Nick's Brewhouse. This is the place where I'll be updating you all with the future ferments I do in my brew closet

Subscribe, follow this thread and stay tuned for more to come

Ok folks, with a couple of brews under my belt it's time to share one

This is an American Pale Ale, extract kit

Ingredients are

500g Crystal Malt
2kg light dry malt extract
80g Cascade hops (30g @60mins 25g @10mins 25g @dryhop)
500g dextrose
Yeast nutrient
US-05 yeast

Some photos below
1. Before we begin, everything laid out ready to go
2. Grains steeped for an hour, now coming to the boil
3. Malt extract added, again back to the boil for first hop addition
4. Second hop addition, 10 min to go
5. Cooling the whole shebang down
6. And it's in the fermenter (blue) with the dry hop and yeast pitched
7. Didn't take long for activity to start up here

1443398449909.jpg

1443398494091.jpg

1443398536112.jpg

1443398586391.jpg

1443398616631.jpg

1443398658502.jpg

1443398704675.jpg

So that's my first full dry extract brew with steeped grains. Now the wait begins.

Planning my next partial extract brew with the very handy Brewsmith app and want to know what you more seasoned brewers think:

Hoping for a Blonde or some kind of light colored style beer out of this, something light to look at but with a bit more flavor than your usual megaswill

500g Crystal Malt grains
100g 2 Row pale malt grains
2.0Kg Light DME
30g Cascade hops at 60mins
750g Dextrose after the boil
15g Galaxy hops as a dry hop in the fermenter

Made up to 23L should give me a 1.044 OG with a light and easy to drink 17.9 IBU and still only about 13.7 EBC so shouldn't be dark at all

Thoughts?

Great idea for a thread.

Have you tried 500g of crystal before with this hop addition? Might have a bit of sweetness.

Maybe 200g or 250g of crystal.

And the pale malt needs a mash to extract the goodness. Instead try steeping 50 or 100g of carapils....

Ah cool suggestion Mattrox, I was looking at carapils but honestly at this point (being as new as I am at this hobby) I'm kind of still experimenting and learning. I might go 350 crystal (Don't mind a little sweetness, makes it more 'mate'-friendly) but may balance it with some extra Cascade and galaxy hops and add the 100g of carapils

NikZak said:
Ok folks, with a couple of brews under my belt it's time to share one

This is an American Pale Ale, extract kit

Ingredients are

500g Crystal Malt
2kg light dry malt extract
80g Cascade hops (30g @60mins 25g @10mins 25g @dryhop)
500g dextrose
Yeast nutrient
US-05 yeast

Some photos below
1. Before we begin, everything laid out ready to go
2. Grains steeped for an hour, now coming to the boil
3. Malt extract added, again back to the boil for first hop addition
4. Second hop addition, 10 min to go
5. Cooling the whole shebang down
6. And it's in the fermenter (blue) with the dry hop and yeast pitched
7. Didn't take long for activity to start up here
Did the exact same extract I got from keg king. One of the best beers I've made :) hope you enjoy it!

Tr0yza said:
Did the exact same extract I got from keg king. One of the best beers I've made :) hope you enjoy it!
Yep, got the kit from KegKing too... Will be back there now with the extra confidence from doing that brew to do a custom one or two and pick up some bits and pieces to start experimenting

Hey followers of Nick's Brewhouse. I'm putting down a toucan this Thursday evening after work and want some advice.

Thinking of doing a special Christmas Brew to share with family and friends at Christmas lunches and dinners.

Out of these cans what do you guys suggest for something different? I'm going to the LHBS tonight after work so can pick up some things to add if you suggest but I have he following:

2× home brand draught
1× Tooheys special lager
1× Cooper's Australian Pale Ale
1× Cooper's dark Ale
1× BE2
The yeast packets from each can
1× US-05
Lots of EC-1118

Will be pitching on an active US-05 yeast cake mixed with Cascade hops put in as a dry hop when I rack the currently brewing Pale Ale to secondary so there should be enough hop juice left in there to give some extra hoppy goodness to this brew.

As this is a Christmas beer I will probably dump some cinnamon and star anise in there as well as a vanilla pod and whatever else people suggest

Currently thinking the Australian Pale Ale and the dark Ale with the above adjuncts but what are other people's thoughts?

Actually one other important thing is do you think 2.5 months would be enough time for the brew to mature in bottles for Christmas dinner or not?

NikZak said:
Hey followers of Nick's Brewhouse. I'm putting down a toucan this Thursday evening after work and want some advice.

Thinking of doing a special Christmas Brew to share with family and friends at Christmas lunches and dinners.

Out of these cans what do you guys suggest for something different? I'm going to the LHBS tonight after work so can pick up some things to add if you suggest but I have he following:

2× home brand draught
1× Tooheys special lager
1× Cooper's Australian Pale Ale
1× Cooper's dark Ale
1× BE2
The yeast packets from each can
1× US-05
Lots of EC-1118

Will be pitching on an active US-05 yeast cake mixed with Cascade hops put in as a dry hop when I rack the currently brewing Pale Ale to secondary so there should be enough hop juice left in there to give some extra hoppy goodness to this brew.

As this is a Christmas beer I will probably dump some cinnamon and star anise in there as well as a vanilla pod and whatever else people suggest

Currently thinking the Australian Pale Ale and the dark Ale with the above adjuncts but what are other people's thoughts?
Really depends on what style of beer you're after but the Coopers Pale is a really good base in my opinion. Also on the Active US-05 bit, you might want to look up yeast washing as it is quite easy to do and will probably reduce to potential for off flavours, the hops that are in that yeast slurry do break down and will not contribute anything all that nice to the beer considering the risk of adding off flavours. It's pretty much as simple as adding a litre of sterile water to the fermenter giving it a swirl, tipping the mix into jars or something big enough and sanitised to hold it, chuck it in the fridge and then only decant off the healthy yeast middle layer leaving behind the other hop bits and trub then pitching that washed yeast into the next batch. It might seem a little complicated and it might be a consideration for in a few batches time but it should improve the quality of the final product :)

NikZak said:
Actually one other important thing is do you think 2.5 months would be enough time for the brew to mature in bottles for Christmas dinner or not?
yes

Rocker1986 said:
Why are you racking it to a secondary anyway>?
The main reason I've been doing that is my primary fermenter doesn't have a tap on it for bottling whereas my other fermenter does. I guess I should just buy a bottling bucket and rack the day before bottling

Nizmoose said:
Really depends on what style of beer you're after but the Coopers Pale is a really good base in my opinion. Also on the Active US-05 bit, you might want to look up yeast washing as it is quite easy to do and will probably reduce to potential for off flavours, the hops that are in that yeast slurry do break down and will not contribute anything all that nice to the beer considering the risk of adding off flavours. It's pretty much as simple as adding a litre of sterile water to the fermenter giving it a swirl, tipping the mix into jars or something big enough and sanitised to hold it, chuck it in the fridge and then only decant off the healthy yeast middle layer leaving behind the other hop bits and trub then pitching that washed yeast into the next batch. It might seem a little complicated and it might be a consideration for in a few batches time but it should improve the quality of the final product :)

yes
I hadn't thought about the hops potentially imparting off flavors. Not a bad idea. I can always practice my washing (which is something I've been meaning to try)

How long could washed yeast live in a bottle in the fridge

NikZak said:
The main reason I've been doing that is my primary fermenter doesn't have a tap on it for bottling whereas my other fermenter does. I guess I should just buy a bottling bucket and rack the day before bottling
Ah yeah fair point. Another option could be to bulk prime and use the tap fermenter as the bottling bucket - then you can just rack it when you bottle it.

I harvest my yeast as well, although I do it at the opposite end of the brew cycle - I steal it from my yeast starters so I don't have to faff around rinsing it. I build them a bit bigger than needed and tip some into a mason jar when it's done its thing. I tried to rouse one recently that was about 6 months old and it didn't really seem to do anything, I was gonna try adding more fresh wort to see if it kicked off but I figured stuff it, for the price of a new pack I might as well just start again fresh. Normally I try to use them within about 2 months of harvesting.

In saying that, I've heard of people managing to get yeast that is 12-18 months old going again, which was only stored in the fridge.

Rocker1986 said:
Ah yeah fair point. Another option could be to bulk prime and use the tap fermenter as the bottling bucket - then you can just rack it when you bottle it.

I harvest my yeast as well, although I do it at the opposite end of the brew cycle - I steal it from my yeast starters so I don't have to faff around rinsing it. I build them a bit bigger than needed and tip some into a mason jar when it's done its thing. I tried to rouse one recently that was about 6 months old and it didn't really seem to do anything, I was gonna try adding more fresh wort to see if it kicked off but I figured stuff it, for the price of a new pack I might as well just start again fresh. Normally I try to use them within about 2 months of harvesting.

In saying that, I've heard of people managing to get yeast that is 12-18 months old going again, which was only stored in the fridge.
Yeah but who doesn't want another fermenter?

So if I'm understanding correctly, you get a new pack of yeast, pitch it into a starter, let it grow for what an hour? Then steal a bit of the mixture into another starter that goes into the fridge and pitch the original yeast?

How much would you steal out of the starter?

The method rocker mentioned is one step better than the way I mentioned and I also do the same as him but wasn't sure if you were making starters yet. Basically use a yeast pitching calculator online (there are many, I like brewer's friend personally) and work out how much yeast your beer will need then what I do is add 100 billion cells to that number to take away before pitching. I'll try and find a link to a detailed method and throw it here for you when I can

That would be awesome Nizmoose. I've got beer smith 2 on my phone and tablet would that have one?

Well, I did end up buying another fermenter last night on the way home from work :) but I didn't rack the American pale ale to it, I thought I'd leave it there for a few more days at the very least as there was still a bit of activity in the airlock, don't want to stop those little yeasties doing their thing.

On the other hand, with three 30L fermenters at my disposal, I decided to get my Toucan Julebryg or Christmas Beer down and fermenting. Here's what I went with:

1x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1x 1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
100g Maple syrup
60g Brown sugar (it's all I had left)
1.5 Star anise
1 Tbsp Cloves
1 Large vanilla pod
2 cinnamon sticks
10g Cascade hop pellets
Both kit yeasts pitched into 28 degree water for 30mins prior to pitching

Method

Put the spices, maple syrup, brown sugar and hops into a saucepan with about 2.5L of water and bring it to the boil
While this was coming to the boil, clean and sanitise fermenter and all other tools (spoon, seive, airlock, can opener) and put both cans of Coopers goo into sink of hot water
Simmer spice mixture for 20 mins then let cool for 30 mins with the lid on the saucepan
Open cans of goo, pour into fermenter and rinse cans with boiled water into fermenter
Strain spice mixture into fermenter
Stir well to dissolve the extract
Pour one saucepan full of water through strainer into the fermenter to extract as much tasty goodness into the mixture then continue to top up to about the 20L mark
Check temperature (mine was at 24 degrees at this point, just perfect) and OG (mine was 1.053)
Pitch yeast, put on lid and airlock, fill airlock with water/fluid of your choice and leave to do its thing in a dark cool spot

By this morning, I had a 5" krausen on it and the airlock was going totally nuts with a huge bubble every second

Latest posts

Back