Nice Weather For..... Stout?!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieRush

Reaction score
aaah winter. gives me an excuse to drink all the things that it's too hot in summer for.

Also lets us brew lagers without having to worry as much about temperature and it being too hot.

I've read in lots of places that winter is lager brewing weather and stout drinking weather. Summer's for brewing stout and drinking lager.

Thing is, I'm running out (shock horror and disaster) of stout and fancy putting down a something like either a dry irish or a sweeter oatmeal style. Most likely I'll use US-05 and my lounge room sits around 15 - 19 and the last batch of AG (BiaB) bitter I have in the corner is happily fermenting away gently.

so is there any real reason why I wouldn't brew stout in winter?

are any of you guys fussy about that sort of thing? Or should I just adopt the "if it ferments, I can brew it" approach and to heck with it?

interested to get your thoughts.

(and no, no idea yet on recipe but chocolate has not been ruled out!)

cheers!!

i would like to make a stout because my wife is pregnent and i read it is good for that. would it be harder to make.
c

Use w1728 Scottish Ale yeast this time of year, it loves cold temps and higher alc%

search for my Pillar of Stout recipie and use that yeast in it

Would be a cracker :icon_chickcheers:

aaah winter. gives me an excuse to drink all the things that it's too hot in summer for.

Also lets us brew lagers without having to worry as much about temperature and it being too hot.

I've read in lots of places that winter is lager brewing weather and stout drinking weather. Summer's for brewing stout and drinking lager.

Thing is, I'm running out (shock horror and disaster) of stout and fancy putting down a something like either a dry irish or a sweeter oatmeal style. Most likely I'll use US-05 and my lounge room sits around 15 - 19 and the last batch of AG (BiaB) bitter I have in the corner is happily fermenting away gently.

so is there any real reason why I wouldn't brew stout in winter?

are any of you guys fussy about that sort of thing? Or should I just adopt the "if it ferments, I can brew it" approach and to heck with it?

interested to get your thoughts.

(and no, no idea yet on recipe but chocolate has not been ruled out!)

cheers!!

I think you've got the ability to control temp pretty well at the moment - put the fermenter out at night if it's too hot, bring it inside to warm it up.

Of course temp control like a ferment fridge would be better...but not necessary this time of year.

Chris

hehehehe wasnt that hard and from memory neither was i as i had a few to drink before
c

Use w1728 Scottish Ale yeast this time of year, it loves cold temps and higher alc%

search for my Pillar of Stout recipie and use that yeast in it

Would be a cracker :icon_chickcheers:

not a bad suggestion. I don't have PoR hops but I do have some cascade and EKG to use (amongst others). might grab some 1728 if I can but can always use the US05 I already have or nottingham as per the recipe. Reckon this one's a goer... don't think I can see a reason not to knock one over this weekend so I'll let you know how it turns out.

i would like to make a stout because my wife is pregnent and i read it is good for that. would it be harder to make.
c

:icon_offtopic:

That is an old wives tale regarding its iron content.... Cook her a steak instead.

My Best Stout yet, It even wins over non Stout drinkers.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.comRecipe: Barry WhiteBrewer: AndrewAsst Brewer: ReubenStyle: Sweet StoutTYPE: All GrainTaste: (35.0) Recipe Specifications--------------------------Batch Size (fermenter): 36.00 l Boil Size: 45.49 lBottling Volume: 36.00 lEstimated OG: 1.052 SGEstimated Color: 65.6 EBCEstimated IBU: 36.7 IBUsBrewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %Boil Time: 60 MinutesIngredients:------------Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 70.2 %
0.75 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 3 8.8 %
0.75 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 8.8 %
0.50 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 5 5.8 %
0.35 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 6 4.1 %
0.20 kg Dark Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 7 2.3 %
70.00 g Williamette [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 21.8 IBUs
50.00 g Fuggles [4.00 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 8 9.2 IBUs
30.00 g Williamette [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10 5.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -
5.00 g Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 12 -
100.00 % Burton On Trent, UK Water 1 -
2.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) [25 Yeast 13 -
Mash Schedule: My MashTotal Grain Weight: 8.55 kg----------------------------Name Description Step Temperat Step Time Step Add 25.65 l of water at 77.1 C 68.0 C 60 min Notes:------Bottled Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com------------------...---------------

Drew.

Edit: Cut and copy didn't work well, had to clean it up a bit. Stats OG;1.052 FG;1.020 Mash Temp 68'C

:icon_offtopic:

That is an old wives tale regarding its iron content.... Cook her a steak instead.

Stout is supposed to help with milk production.

Cynical, just in case you're not taking the piss. I would recommend a Cooper Stout kit for you. Add light dried malt extract. And brew as close to 18 degrees as you can. Grab some dried Nottingham for the yeast (instead of the cooper packet) and a hop t-bag if you want a bit more flavour.

In the days before enlightenment all Irish Breast Feeding mothers where given Guiness in Hospital as "Guiness is Good for You"

Not a myth, the truth.

Here in Australia the practice continued into the 60's.

I was a Guiness breast Milk baby.....

BOG

Kind of related comment - serving temp.
I inadvertently switched off the beer fridge recently and didn't realise until I had a stout and an ale from it and thought how nicely the hops and malt were coming out in the flavour.
I have now reset the fridge thermostat up to 10 from it's previous 6.
Great for winter drinking.

Drew... got in too late so I've made a note to try your recipe next :)

went with Stu's Pillar of Stout recipe using nottingham yeast in the end. Went the cheaper option and used hops I had left over and adjusted quantities for the different alpha settings to give me the relevant IBUs. 50g Cascade and 40g of East Kent Goldings.

This one was my first full batch BIAB with the trusty 19l big W stockpot. Too much like hard work!! I normally brew in 10-ish litre batches which is a breeze. I think I'll hold off doing full batches again until I get round to buying a 40l pot. besides, I like brewing. small batches means more brewing fun :)

ended up with 20 litres at 1.048 but was aiming for 23 initially. not to worry. tastes... interesting right now. quite a lot of smokey flavour coming through but I'm hoping that settles out after some time in the bottle to relax. I see where the guinness comparison comes in too. Plan to leave it in primary for two weeks, bottle and let it sit for a while.

any thoughts on carb level? The last stout I did worked better quite well-carbed then chilled for a week or so to smooth out the bubbles.

Back