Nice "rubbery" Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score
So I'm tucking in to a Black Goat Ale FWK and its got a god awful rubber taste to it, I'm thinking it's probably phenols due to an infection as my yeast took a long time to start (4 or 5 days).... I couldn't see any visible signs of infection but there's definitely something wrong here.

My question is, am I still ok to keep drinking this or am I going to end up hugging the toilet in a few hours? I can probably put up with the taste after one or two more....

I can probably put up with the taste after one or two more....

I think you answered your own question ;)

Good excuse to take Monday off too!

Just jokes mate... Sorry i cant offer any serious advice, Never experienced that sort of taste (many other foul ones though mind you)

Well so far so good (ha good)

I find it tastes better while smoking haha

Underneath the funk you can tell its quite a nice beer though :beerbang:

Can't really help but I think I've read something about yeast autolysis causes rubber taste. Try searching that if ya still able by now

Rubber with a touch of PVC perhaps? It is likely a wild yeast has had it's way with the sweet wort while your preferred yeast was lagging. You'll survive drinking it, countless thousands of other brewers have, but do you really want to?

Sounds a pretty spot on description Grant, I don't like the idea of just chucking it out and I'm engoying myself

Can't see it being autolysis, bottled it in around 3 weeks

No worries just remember reading that somewhere. Sounds like it won't kill ya so bottoms up

Latest posts

Back