Nice Guys Brewery & Bar, Richmond (VIC)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Black n Tan it's very selfish of you to open your brewery bar on the opposite side of town from me.
Looks great - I'll be sure to drop in for a drink or three if I'm in the area.

Regarding food - I have no doubt that setting up, stocking, and staffing a kitchen takes a lot of time, effort and dollars. But often it is nice to eat something with a drink, and many of us are likely to stay longer and enjoy more of your beer if we can at least have a snack if not a meal. Do you sell chips/nuts/pretzels/whatever at the bar? Also worth seeing if the nearby restaurants will deliver to your customers table (or at least out the front). you could have their takeaway menus on hand or at the tables.
yes we offer nibbles and are exploring ordering from a local restaurant. in the meantime we allow customers to order in. lot's on the todo list.

For what it's worth, the pull of beer vs food has a long history in the English-speaking world. An English law of 1653 mandated that alehouses exist to "provide victual to bonafide travellers." In the postwar years there was a long struggle between most publicans, the ones outside city centres and tourist routes, who got by the law with crisps and maybe a display of pies, versus the licensing magistrates who wanted menus and meals. The latter largely won, and many pubs boast of roast wild boar and other allegedly traditional pub grub that had actually been nonexistent. In the interest of safer driving, Scotland repealed a blue law that pubs could only serve patrons from other towns.

yes we offer nibbles and are exploring ordering from a local restaurant. in the meantime we allow customers to order in. lot's on the todo list.
Ordering from nearby restaurants is a common strategy in the US and Canada. I recall one pub tried it it Albury-Wodonga. Maybe someone from there can comment.

Heaps of places do it here in Vic. Foragers Drop have menus and allow you to order. Most of the local restaurants deliver straight to the table.

Places like Project Brewing also encourage the likes of Ubereats and Menulog and deliveries from local restaurants too

Heaps of places do it here in Vic.
Yeah, I think post Covid (or at least on the exit) this is more important than ever. As a community we are all the better where businesses can help each other.

Pre Covid I had visited a number of places that didn't do food but allowed external food to come in. In fact, one place I am thinking of would do Friday pizzas, they'd take orders and payment and then go and pick up from a local pizza joint. Pretty convenient and was a win/win for each.

All our beer is served from Brite serving tanks housed in a cool room to keep them fresh. We just released a new beer, a West Coast IPA.
new-2.png

I need to put this place on my list of go-visits. Best check if its still going first.

... Project Brewing also encourage the likes of Ubereats and Menulog and deliveries from local restaurants too.

These days, Project only allows it if BurgerChiefs aren't set up in the front, which they usually are.

Latest posts

Back