Next purchase?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just turned another year older and have a baby on the way so wont be able to spend as much cash on the equipment side of things. I have scored a 45 ltr chilly bin off the olds and have some vouchers to spend.

I already have one 30 litre fermenter and a sweet burner and the usual stuff in terms of hydrometer and thermometer (although I may get a better one as this one is a bit dodge).

I am keen to make a barleywine and some big le freak type belgian ipas in time and with this in mind I know I need another fermenter.

Lots of little sub questions here I guess. If I am needing to transfer and age in another fermenter for some time is another plastic fermenter sweet or should I go glass carboy?
Also if I make belgian types do I then need a separate fermenter again for those and in that case is it better to get another couple of plastic fermenters?

Also do I have to keep the belgian one separate from everything else to not taint it?

These may be pretty basic things but just pretty curious of others experiences to help make the next purchases the right ones.

I may also set up a stirplate but not in too much of a rush as I saw flasks starting at $50NZD for the size most refer to on here...

Thanks for any advice guys.

Spiesy said:
wtf is a chilly bin, brew?
kiwi for 'esky'.

glasss carboy is best however if your looking at saving some bucks then plastic fermentor will serve you well..
i paid 60 for my glass one, 30 for plastic.

Big Nath said:
wouldn't that be "chully bun"?
hhhmmm, i can see this thread going down the sheep shagging way...sorry to OP at sex twenty fiv

If you are planning some "lambic" style beers then glass is a better option, if however it's normal fermented tripel or dubbel then just a plastic fermenter then bottle age will be OK.I normally do a small beer first with the yeast i want to use to build up a good quantity, then pitch onto that to save making a huge starter.

So long as you clean it, you can reuse for Belgians, and whatever else.

If its for lambics, Better Bottle fermenters are a good compromise, bit less expensive than glass.

Nah Im a bit of a noob in terms of belgians and only just seeing the light. I am looking at using wlp550 type yeast in a belg IPA type recipe.

Hah gold about the kiwi stuff Ill be picking up the errrrr esky today :beerbang:

Might be a carboy and Ill get a decent brush to clean it.

I guess the only parts Im still thinking about is if I make belgians that aren't lambics in a plastic fermenter can that be used for pale ales/lagers later if cleaned or is it easier to have separate vessels to save cross contamination?

Still thinking of the carboy and racking from/to the current fermenter...

Also, I have temp control sorted, is there anything else I should be thinking of getting pre baby?

cheers

stillinrehab said:
Hi all,

I have just turned another year older and have a baby on the way so wont be able to spend as much cash on the equipment side of things. .

Baby-Pollywaffle.jpg

I reckon he's got your eyes. :D

I wouldn't re-use lambic/brett type plastic fermenters for sacch beers. Too cheap (plastic fermenters that is) to take the risk.

Glass on the other hand should be OK provided it is properly cleaned. I'd also keep transfer tubing etc separate.

Normal/sacch belgians, no dramas.

Anything aging more than 6 months I'd look at aging in glass with minimal headspace. 6 months is an arbitrary figure - just around the cut-off for my peace of mind.

No difference between wlp550 and any other sacc yeast. Same equipment is no issue. Definitely don't buy extra for this.

Have you got temperature control sorted out?

I assume an STC-1000 should work in NZ

NZ is the same as us 240V 50~ and even the same wall socket - so yes an STC-1000 will work and he can even follow our instructions

Yeah guys got an old fridge freezer where the fridge part works and have the dual heating/cooling stc-1000 already cranking. What a difference it has made to the last few brews!
I am an electrical tard though so I purchased it already to plug in.

Not a bad idea. For the price I've seen a lot of them for sale its almost cheaper to buy one ready to go than to gather the parts and DIY - especially if your wanting something that looks professional and not like a yr. 9 science experiment.

Back