Next Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think I brew next?

• TCB Wetpak - American Pale @ .50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E.S.B 3kg Australian Draught @ .50

• X-TRACT Pale 3kg @ .50

• Muntons Gold 3kg India Pale Ale @ .50

• Grumpy's Masterbrew Boston Cream @ .70

• St. Peters Brewery Australian Pale Ale fresh wort @

• Total voters

manaen

Reaction score
Bummer .. the prices didn't show up!!

TCB Wetpak $29.50
E.S.B. $25.50
X-Tract $26.50
Muntons $29.50
Grumpy's $27.70
St. Peters $30

I have made 5 brews so far with good results just using supermarket 1.7kg draught cans (as well as a ginger beer and a apple cider) but want to make something that is better than good.

What do you guys think as I have no experience with any of these products.

The easiest will be the fresh wort. So long as you use good yeast, and properly sanitise you're equipment, you're pretty much guarenteed a decent drop.

Hi Manaen

I have only used the Grumpys kits so I cant comment on the rest, but if you want variety you will find it with the grumpys masterbrews as there range caters for most styles.
As kook said the fresh worts are easier but you cant beat the taste of an extract with some fresh grains steeped to enhance flavour.
Another thing is that while you stick to standard kits and wet packs you will never gain experience in the use of grains which is a step that might be benificial if you want to advance to all grain brews in the future.
I dont mean this post to be kits verses grains again, and the level to which you take your hobby is entirely up to you.

Cheers

esb fresh worts are great. i would do one of them and use a suitable liquid yeast.

I did an xtract pilsner the other week and it worked out a treat. Still cold conditioning in the keg. But after i pulled it from the fermenter it was crystal clear and tasted alright out of the hydrometer tube

I would remove the Muntons Gold option.... unless you are 100% sure that it is a fresh kit...... those things tend to sit around a bit in the brewshops due to the higher price.

dreamboat

Manaen,

I can recommend the 3kg ESB kits fairly highly. I used to make them up for my father in law to larger volumes to produce a light.

I've noticed on the bottom of the can you actually get real hop pellets mixed in with the extract. Used to make a pretty serviceable drop with them.

I second what Dreamboat says, Munton's have a great reputation but unfortunately the shops don't tend to move them too rapidly due to their inflated prices. At least you know with the ESB kits they're locally made and usually quite fresh.

Warren -

Back