Next brew an APA but need recipe review (noob)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azzasn

Reaction score
ok guys, new to brewing so take it easy on me, ha. I know ill look back on this when I've been brewing for a while and think pffft easy.

I've got a pale ale recipe that i found on AHB, I've got the ingredients for but I've got home and been thinking mainly about the batch size. Are most recipes stated as 23l if not told?

Ive used an app called brew log to roughly know how it will turn out but the ingredients list is not exactly what i have so substituted for what sounded similar.

anyway enough heres a run down of the recipe

1.7kg can coopers aus pale ale
1.5kg can coopers light malt extract
0.5 crystal malt

25g cascade (15min)
25g cascade (5min)
25g cascade (dry hop)

US-05

so thats the recipe and if made to 23l i got OG 1.045 FG-1.013, @4.3%. I would really like a higher abv so would i just adjust water volume?

alternatively what would you change to make this better? I've got a total of 100g of cascade to.

thanks

Aaron

What type of crystal do you have? There is a huge difference between crystal 10 and crystal 120 for example.

wereprawn said:
What type of crystal do you have? There is a huge difference between crystal 10 and crystal 120 for example.
TBH im not 100% sure, the receipt says ebc 115 but I'm not to sure thats right as the bloke stuffed up the first time he put it through. I'm sure it wasn't over 60l. The lessons I'm already learning. Will this only affect colour?

Go with what you have, should be fine.
Add 200gm of dextrose to bump up the abv a little. Will help balance the sweetness from the malts.

Yeah it will affect colour and taste. Half a kg of crystal is a lot. Didn't know crystal came in 115.Mabe it does? To be on the safe side I would halve that amount. Better off having a nice beer if it really is 115.

Making it to 20 ltrs should not hurt if you want more abv.

Edit. just saw YB s post. Good point with the dex.

Cool thanks guys, Im sure it wouldn't be 115 either as it came out of a tub that was nearly empty, so most popular which I think would be a mid numbered crystal. If that makes sense.

How does the hop schedule sound?

thanks for the info guys. will be brewing this up by the weekend i hope.

Probably a bit late but check the chubby cherub extract recipe on coopers.com.au
My next brew

Bizenya said:
Probably a bit late but check the chubby cherub extract recipe on coopers.com.au
My next brew

I've already made that brew and is fermenting away in the garage. i just checked out that recipe and it looks like a good one, if you make it let us know how it is?

Righto

Choc oatmeal stout will tie up the fermenter for the next two weeks, but the chubby cherub will be in straight after that

Will keep ya posted!

squirrell said:
personally i cant handle that much hops, but looks good
smelling good out of the fermenter, I'm not sure if i will add the extra 25g hops in dry, might just see how this one tastes as is.

I think the recipe looks fine. A touch of dex won't hurt if you want to balance the DME and grain.

I used to use 500g of crystal in many single batch brews and the resulting beers were good. However I wouldn't go over that and I find I prefer the results with around half that which is now my default for bitters and apas.

These were AG brews - extract brews often tend to finish a little higher and sweeter so I would consider cutting the crystal back. However as said - the recipe is OK as is - these are just tweaks I would make either this time or next time if you think it needs it.

azzasn said:
ok guys, new to brewing so take it easy on me, ha. I know ill look back on this when I've been brewing for a while and think pffft easy.

I've got a pale ale recipe that i found on AHB, I've got the ingredients for but I've got home and been thinking mainly about the batch size. Are most recipes stated as 23l if not told?

Ive used an app called brew log to roughly know how it will turn out but the ingredients list is not exactly what i have so substituted for what sounded similar.

anyway enough heres a run down of the recipe

1.7kg can coopers aus pale ale
1.5kg can coopers light malt extract
0.5 crystal malt

25g cascade (15min)
25g cascade (5min)
25g cascade (dry hop)

US-05

so thats the recipe and if made to 23l i got OG 1.045 FG-1.013, @4.3%. I would really like a higher abv so would i just adjust water volume?

alternatively what would you change to make this better? I've got a total of 100g of cascade to.

thanks

Aaron
What IBU are you looking for here? I like to err on the bitter side so would work my hops quantity and boil times to provide a little more grunt, but the late additions you have should provide the flavour. I think your 25 g dry hop might be a bit of an over kill on your first go but we all have different tastes. I'm a bit of a hop head.

manticle said:
I think the recipe looks fine. A touch of dex won't hurt if you want to balance the DME and grain.

I used to use 500g of crystal in many single batch brews and the resulting beers were good. However I wouldn't go over that and I find I prefer the results with around half that which is now my default for bitters and apas.

These were AG brews - extract brews often tend to finish a little higher and sweeter so I would consider cutting the crystal back. However as said - the recipe is OK as is - these are just tweaks I would make either this time or next time if you think it needs it.
Bit of a learning process atm, i did this brew as the recipe stated and topped it to 22lts which gave me 1.050 OG, i think i am expecting it to get a FG of 1.014 according to a app i used. Ill put what you said in the memory bank for future brews.

Three Sheets said:
What IBU are you looking for here? I like to err on the bitter side so would work my hops quantity and boil times to provide a little more grunt, but the late additions you have should provide the flavour. I think your 25 g dry hop might be a bit of an over kill on your first go but we all have different tastes. I'm a bit of a hop head.
They were late additions and i think the IBU would be around 30 but i was just happy making beer and adding hops :D

Latest posts

Back