Newcastle CBD gets a venue with on-site brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
warra48 said:
Drove past there today. Had made a lot of progress since last week, but didn't appear to be open.
It certainly looks close to being ready to open, if it hasn't already.
Might sneak by Friday arvo before the HUB meeting.
A glance at their facebook page says they are open, but there is no information on trading hours or a website unfortunately. I was also possibly looking to pop in Friday.

eMPTy said:
A glance at their facebook page says they are open, but there is no information on trading hours or a website unfortunately. I was also possibly looking to pop in Friday.
Just go in. I was there last night and had a jolly time.
Enjoyed the beer and pizza, and took a photo of my samplers (tray of four), and some notes about them, then I had dinner and got distracted a bit.

*Edit - I also had a chat with Shawn, and was advised that they have been busy since the "soft opening". Very little publicity has been put out for social media, and they are yet to throw the Foghorn website open.
Social media has sort of blown up with plenty of comments and feedback.
When I was there, an unexpected, after-dark delivery of the 'Growler fridge" occurred and Shawn had to accept and locate the device.
I think he's fairly happy with the community support and acceptance of the venture.
The place was quite full, for a Wednesday night, and there was also a private seminar being conducted on premises, so it all appears very go-ahead.

tiprya said:
What's the beer range look like Les?
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1429155465.560917.jpg

Just went there. On a bit of a craft brew pub crawl. Great place. I'll be back there. Tried them all. Here's. List. They have a few ring ins as well.

Darby Street end of King Street heading East.

Tidal Pete, RdeVjun and myself (at least) will be there Tuesday week if Allah spares us. Now for the important stuff:

Is it served in proper glasses or those wanky overpriced Schmiddy tulip glasses?

Bribie G said:
Darby Street end of King Street heading East.

Tidal Pete, RdeVjun and myself (at least) will be there Tuesday week if Allah spares us. Now for the important stuff:

Is it served in proper glasses or those wanky overpriced Schmiddy tulip glasses?
You could end up wounded in the Sat night prior

Straight schooner (not headmaster etc) and not wanky tulips!

I dropped in for lunch today, the service was great and the burger was ok.. I get the american theme but where are my friggin chips!

I had the session IPA and Brown porter, neither blew my mind but I am guessing Shawn is still getting the hang of the brewhouse and they will be up to his usual standard soon enough.

Bribie G said:
Now for the important stuff:

I fricken' hate "schmiddy" glasses.

If that's all they have, then I get a pony / 250ml glass, but also I'm loathe to visit the venue again.

I can get beer anywhere, cheaper. Bars & pubs are all about atmosphere and customer service.
Taking away my selection of drink-size is taking away part of my customer service.
Although I'm probably over-reacting. Again.

Mr Wibble said:

If that's all they have, then I get a pony / 250ml glass, but also I'm loathe to visit the venue again.

I can get beer anywhere, cheaper. Bars & pubs are all about atmosphere and customer service.
Taking away my selection of drink-size is taking away part of my customer service.
and yet a fair and appropriate reaction to the evil schmiddy menace.

joshuahardie said:
Not really the focus on the Belgian beer like I had hoped.
I think it's more a focus on Belgian-style brewing. Fairly dry fermentation to avoid the bloated feeling, and drinkability is prominent.

I liked all the beers I tasted. Tried to post a photo and reviews this morning, but dud internet at home would not publish my post/ page not loaded msg.

+1 for sessionability factor at Foghorn.

As far as hosting HUB brew club meetings, I can't see a lot of opportunity if the place is chockers and pumping on Fridays.

Les

Thanks for the post. Interesting to see that they divulge the hops in each brew

What's with the small letter in some words that is underlined? What's that?

droid said:
Thanks for the post. Interesting to see that they divulge the hops in each brew

What's with the small letter in some words that is underlined? What's that?
not seeing any underlined letters... got an example?

have a squiz at the first pic on your link which is the menu, here and there are words with one letter that is underlined, maybe it's just artsy

Mr Wibble said:

Not overreacting at all. Schmiddies are the reason I won't go back to the Hop Factory, that's just round the corner from the Foghorn. Even though I went to the trouble of growing a beard so I could get served there.
I'd bet you anything you like that's why the Platform Bar in Brisbane closed down as well.

droid said:
have a squiz at the first pic on your link which is the menu, here and there are words with one letter that is underlined, maybe it's just artsy
art deco fonts.jpg

Wanky art deco retro stuff, a bit like those tram banners that upper bogans used to infest their kitchens with a few years ago. God I picked a bad week to go on the wagon before Grafton. :angry: :angry:

You can see something I can't see.

Lunch for example has a small 'c' that is underlined.
Just a font/visual aesthetic thing presumably. Wouldn't put me off ordering any.

Latest posts

Back