Newcastle Brown Ale Recipe Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leamos

Reaction score
Anyone got a good kit based newcastle brown recipe ie adding malt, dex, hops etc to a canned concentrate, my old man grow up in newcastle, england and is a big fan of the newcastle brown. Any help will be greatl

ESB 3kg tins ... "Nut Brown Ale" with a liquid English/British Ale yeast is top fare ...quick and easy too!!!! ;)

Yeah, same as 1.7kg cans ...22 or 23 litres. But, you don't add a kilo of sugar/dextrose etc. It's all in the 3kg can. :D

They make a "normal" batch size - not sure what the exact figure is off the top of my head but around 20 - 23L would be right. The reason why it seems like a double kit is because you don't add a kilo of sugar or whatever - just the bigger can.

The malt shovel kit isnt too bad either, but I'd use a better yeast to get closer to the broon.

Newcastle brown isnt even available on cask anymore. Pasturised keg and bottle only. Big dissapointment.

Plus this year the S&N Newcastle plant (or brewery if you want to call it that) will close down. NBA will be brewed in Gateshead.

Think they should call it Gateshead Brown Ale? :)

Thats just not cricket Kook, the Newcastle brown style is known as tyne brown ale, the tyne river flows right though newcastle, so techniquely it will be a different style, its like Jim Beam moving from kentucy, techniquely they wouldn't be producing bourbon anymore

I drank plenty of Newkie in my time in the UK- always from a bottle, never saw it as a cask. Maybe because I was usually down south?

Leamos, isn't Gateshead an inner suburb of Newcastle, and on the Tyne as well?

Had one of the scariest pub experiences of my life in Newcastle, walking into a tiny filthy bar there one dole day...locals weren't too friendly.

In the meantime, anyone with one of those icecream machines may want to consider this for summer:

Beer ice cream goes on sale
The distinctive taste of Newcastle Brown Ale has become the latest ice cream flavour from a family-run Northumberland dairy
Newcastle Brown Ale flavoured ice cream was launched on Tuesday by Doddington Dairies, and will only be available during the summer months.
The makers say the handmade ice cream reflects the region's identity, and was even handed out to the European Capital of Culture 2008 judges on their last visit.
Newcastle Brown Ale has already been used as an ingredient in locally produced products, such as bread.

Although the ice cream is made using the ale, under licence from brewers Scottish and Newcastle, the cooking process means it contains less than 1% alcohol.
Jackie Maxwell, director of Doddington Dairy said: "We were looking for an ice cream flavour that was distinctive, and had a strong identity with the region.
"Newcastle Brown Ale has all of that. "It has been a fantastic challenge working on a product like this, with one of the world's most famous brands. "Every part of the process has been great for us - from the design of the cartons, through to testing the ale syrup for just the right flavour. The ice cream highlights Newcastle Brown's unique flavour characteristics."

Leamos,

This recipe is from the Brown Ale Classic Styles series Ray Daniels & Jim Parker. Please note you make this beer in 2 batches and blend (1 part Beer 1; 2 Parts Beer 2). You could probably modify to suit your equipment experience level etc.

Colonel Porters Pride & Joy US 5 gallons (Sorry about the imperial measurements);

Beer 1:
8lb Pale Malt Extract
2lb of Caramel Malt
2oz of Chocolate Malt
1lb Sugar

0.75oz Target Hops (60mins)
1oz Northern Brewer (30 mins)

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

Steep Grains in 1 gallon per pound in 70c water for 30 mins.
Boil 90 mins; add sucrose at end of boil
OG 1070
FG 1.010
Target IBU: 44
Ferment Temp: 20c

Beer 2:
3.50lb of Pale Malt Extract
0.75lb Caramel Malt
0.75 Oz Chocolate Malt
0.50lb Sugar

0.50oz Target Hops (60mins)
0.75oz Northern Brewer (30 mins)

OG 1030
FG 1.008
Target IBU: 26

Finished Blend (1 part Beer 1; 2 Parts Beer 2)

OG 1.043
FG 1.009
Target IBU 32

This leaves you with 10 litres or so of strong beer to bottle for later. :chug:

Hope this helps -
Warren

Backlane, your probably right i think i was getting confused with Gatesbridge near leeds i think

Leamos,

This recipe is from the Brown Ale Classic Styles series Ray Daniels & Jim Parker. Please note you make this beer in 2 batches and blend (1 part Beer 1; 2 Parts Beer 2). You could probably modify to suit your equipment experience level etc.

Colonel Porters Pride & Joy US 5 gallons (Sorry about the imperial measurements);

Beer 1:
8lb Pale Malt Extract
2lb of Caramel Malt
2oz of Chocolate Malt
1lb Sugar

0.75oz Target Hops (60mins)
1oz Northern Brewer (30 mins)

OG 1070
FG 1.010
Target IBU: 44

Beer 2:
3.50lb of Pale Malt Extract
0.75lb Caramel Malt
0.75 Oz Chocolate Malt
0.50lb Sugar

0.50oz Target Hops (60mins)
0.75oz Northern Brewer (30 mins)

OG 1030
FG 1.008
Target IBU: 26

Finished Blend (1 part Beer 1; 2 Parts Beer 2)

OG 1.043
FG 1.009
Target IBU 32

This leaves you with 10 litres or so of strong beer to bottle for later. :chug:

Hope this helps -
Warren

HUGE BUMP!!

I have a mate that loves NB, and I don't mind it either... This blended recipe makes me think that this is a traditional Parti-Gyle...What do ya reckon?

SS

Newcastle brown isnt even available on cask anymore. Pasturised keg and bottle only. Big dissapointment.

Plus this year the S&N Newcastle plant (or brewery if you want to call it that) will close down. NBA will be brewed in Gateshead.

Think they should call it Gateshead Brown Ale? :)

Responding to bump. I grew up in Newcastle. For starters Newcastle Brown was NEVER sold in the cask and IIRC only came out in keg in the 90s for the USA market particularly.

Re the recipe, originally Newcastle Brown was a blend of two beers, a strong brown that wasn't available commercially, and a lighter beer called Newcastle Amber ale which was sold very much as a "ladies beer" as it was around 3% AVB and was discontinued in the 90s (eclipsed by lagers).

amber_ale.jpeg

I never heard that the Amber was produced by any parti-gyle process during the production of the brown ale component. I expect Newcastle Brown is just done as one brew nowadays at Tadcaster. It was definitely much stronger when I was a lad and was referred to as either Jungle Juice or "Journey into Space" after a popular Sci Fi series of the day. Suggesting that at the current 4.7% abv it's a shadow of its former glory.

Edit:
History again, the Tyne Brewery just up the street from St James Park Stadium (the magpies) closed down and all production done at the former Northern Clubs Federation brewery at Dunston on the South Bank of the Tyne, where my Dad, Grandad and Great Grandad and (repeating sequence back to the Vikings) were born and where my brother lives. Imagine that all the RSL clubs had their own brewery and their own range of beers. It was bought out by Scottish and Newcastle who discontinued the very tasty Federation Special and the Fed ordinary (old mens beer). When Heineken took over they closed the whole lot down and moved to the John Smiths brewery at Tadcaster which I expect will spell the end of other old traditions like McEwans 80/- and Newcastle Exhibition Ale. Bastards.

So what happened to that massive automated Newk Brown factory which was on James and Oz Drink To Britain series I think it was episode 2 IIRC. Can't even remember where it was located but close on to Newcastle.

That was the Northern Clubs Federation Brewery, now just a Heineken depot <_<

clubs_fed.JPG

I have a recipe taken from the 250 clone recipes book from BYO magazine
It is also a two part beer
it goes :

Part 1 Old Ale

4.1 kg British pale ale malt
1.13 kg flaked maize
0.6 kg crystal malt (120-150L )
0.14 kg Chocolate malt
21 g Roasted Barley (300L)

47 g Fuggles 5% AA ( 60 mins ) (8.25 AAU )
7 g Kent Goldings 5% AA ( 15 mins ) (1.25 AAU )

Wyeast 1099 Whitbread ale or White Labs WLP017 Whitbread ale

Part 2 Amber Ale

2.3 kg British pale ale malt
0.34 kg Crystal Malt ( 90L )
0.23 kg flaked maize
21 g Roasted Barley

20 g Challenger 7% AA ( 60 mins ) (5 AAU )

Wyeast 1099 Whitbread ale or White Labs WLP071 Whitbread ale

looks like a challenging beer to make when you have to make one then blend it with another.

There is an extract version of these recipes I will post them if you like.

Hope this helps good luck

Looks like that's more on the money. Personally I'd sub some of that maize with syrup (Lyles or maltose syrup) and maybe even some sugaz.

AS the OP asked for a K&K recipe, not an AG or Extract one: -

1 Muntons Connoisseurs Nut Brown Ale (1.8 Kg)
1 Kg Light dry malt extract (preferably Muntons)
The yeast under the lid is (I believe) made by Safe for Muntons, so it will do the job well.

If you want to amp it up a bit you can steep about 250g of light Crystal or dark Caramalt in about a litre of 80oC water and boil the resulting juice with a plug of East Kent Golding, or Northdown (probably what the brewery is using).
Pretty dam tasty and not far off the original, perhaps a shade or two darker; rewards a couple of months cellaring somewhere cool and dark.

MHB

Back