Newby To Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfisher

Reaction score
Hey all,

i am only new at brewing and have put on a 23 litre batch of a carlton dry similarity as i am told, i think it is a morgans draught kit with a brewing sugar mix, 10 grams cascade hops and yeast and dry enzyme. it has been in at 25-26 degrees for 5 days and is looking very cloudy almost like cloudy apple juice. i am wondering if this is due to the enzyme or not, and woundering if this is normal?

Hey all,

i am only new at brewing and have put on a 23 litre batch of a carlton dry similarity as i am told, i think it is a morgans draught kit with a brewing sugar mix, 10 grams cascade hops and yeast and dry enzyme. it has been in at 25-26 degrees for 5 days and is looking very cloudy almost like cloudy apple juice. i am wondering if this is due to the enzyme or not, and woundering if this is normal?

Most of my beers are still cloudy until they have been in the bottle for 2-3 days, so I wouldn't worry. You should try and get the temp of the wort down though, especially if using a true lager yeast, even for the kit yeasts you should try and get closer to 18 - 20 degrees

hi there dfisher

your enzyme that you mentioned is most likely the yeast. this dose make the beer a little hazzy while its fermenting

Dont panic

after the fermentation is finished most of the yeast drops to the bottom of the fermenter
your beer will still be a little hazy

don't panic

after you have bottled the beer a little more will drop to the bottom of the bottle

a perfect example of this are coopers beers. if you look in the bottom you will see a little yeast still in there
big brew houses make there beer even clearer by filtering it

but you don't need to do this

good luck with your beer

hi there dfisher

your enzyme that you mentioned is most likely the yeast. this dose make the beer a little hazzy while its fermenting

Dont panic

after the fermentation is finished most of the yeast drops to the bottom of the fermenter
your beer will still be a little hazy

don't panic

after you have bottled the beer a little more will drop to the bottom of the bottle

a perfect example of this are coopers beers. if you look in the bottom you will see a little yeast still in there
big brew houses make there beer even clearer by filtering it

but you don't need to do this

good luck with your beer

Hey paulhill

Thanks i was told to use the yeast and the dry enzyme? maybe that is why it is a bit cloudyer than expexcted but i guess it is alot early days and needs to settle a bit.

Dave

Most of my beers are still cloudy until they have been in the bottle for 2-3 days, so I wouldn't worry. You should try and get the temp of the wort down though, especially if using a true lager yeast, even for the kit yeasts you should try and get closer to 18 - 20 degrees

Hey 7roy
ok thanks for the advice i will try lower temp next time.

Hey 7roy
ok thanks for the advice i will try lower temp next time.

If you're in wagga it should be nice and easy to keep your fermentation below 20 degrees. Keep it in the garage and you'll be sweet.

Don't worry if it is bit cloudy even when you bottle (I'm assuming you bottle). Once the bottles condition for a month or two they'll clear up nice.

25-26 degrees
:icon_vomit:

For your next brew, try to keep it at about 18-20

edit: Seems i had my browser open for way to long and that you have already been given this advice.

Back