Newbie....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shareta_b

Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't started brewing yet as I want to grow my own hops first. Can you help with where to buy plants in Adelaide, when and where best to Grow. Any advice would be great!!

Contacting Dr Smurto would be a good start.. I would have to look but I may have a rhizome in my fridge still, will have a look when I get home and check viability, kinda forgot about them..

If you are going to wait to grow your own, you may be in for a bit of an uncertain wait this year cobber..

Yob

Brew some beer first and get at least quasi-familiar with the ingredients. It'd be a shame to devote the time and effort into growing hops only to screw up the resulting beer because you've never done it before. Have a read of a few newbie threads, most people **** something or other up and while they usually still make beer, I'd like the beers I make with my own hops to be great, not just drinkable.

You won't be brewing for quite a while if you're going to wait for your own home grown hops first.

No question I will be waiting a while!! I've done a fair bit of research on the brew process and have had a lot of tips from mates who are are already brewing. I will probably end up brewing a few first as i patiently wait.....
Admittedly, don't know the first thing about hop cultivation!!
I know that inevitably there is a fair amount of trial and error in the brew process aswell. I think I romanticize to an extent with the whole idea of using my own hops too!! I also think the plant itself is beautiful... how well does it grow in SA? I'm not far from Glenelg. Best time to plant?

>HERE< is a good starting point, there is also a 2011 thread >HERE< Plenty of folks in Ade. grow with great results.

Doc Smurto is a forum member here who gave many a person their first Rhizome, me included.. as I say, touch base with him for some local advice, when you look through those links, you will come across posts and photos from him.

Will have a look in the shed shortly for you... Cant promise they are in a good state though till I look at em.

:icon_cheers:

Thanks Yob!! Still trying to navigate my way through forums, it's a whole new world to me!! Your help and offer is really appreciated. :)

Fuk Me.. They've been growing in the fridge... Pay postage and I'll send you a couple of Chinook..

PM for details

Latest posts

Back