Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eats shop

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm just starting out on my brewing venture.
I made a few kits many many years ago.
I've just invested in a few kegs and all the bits and bobs.
I've currently made a few brews using Cooper's adding extra hops ect.
Currently have a 60lt and 30lt fermenter and there both bubbling away.

I'd like to get into brewing from scratch and becoming knowledgeable when it comes to brewing.

I enjoy drinking German wheat beer whilst in Germany. I normally drink cascade draught/lager.
I like pale ales and also the sour beers.
I'm wanting to buy grains in bulk 25kg
What types would you recommend having on hand.
Also the types of hops ect.
Where to buy this in bulk?
THBS?
Urn for boiling?
Methods that work for you.
Many thanks in advanced.
Ben.

Look for a local supplier if possible otherwise there are many Melbourne based suppliers that ship like Beerco, Kegland, check out the sponsors shop section.
I think pale/pale ale malt is probably the most versatile and is what i will be buying shortly along with some 5kg lots of specialty malts, i havent bought from them but check out cheapyeast.com.au ,good prices and free postage.

Thanks guys, Yeah Hobart based and I have supported my local Hobart store with all my equipment so far. I never looked at grains tho. I'll be sure to have a chat to Pete next time.

Another update I'm also going to be making a fermentation fridge as my temp is bouncing slightly and want it more accurate from what I've read the results are improved highly.

Unfortunately at this stage it is hard for me to have fridges ect as I'm living in a small cabin until I find a block of land.

+1 for cheapyeast.com.au +1 for what razz said, don't try to run before you can walk.
This is the first edition and it's free Introduction - How to Brew when you've finished it consider buying the second edition, lots of updated stuff.
Going all grain you will be opening Pandora's box, good luck, and welcome.

Welcome Ben. I am a recent brewer as well with about 12 brews to date. Heaps of great advice on this website particularly in relation to fermentation temperatures and equipment. A good fridge fitted with a STC-1000 and the fan recommended by Grmblz is a must. I have a couple of 25 kg bags of pale malt and a bag of US Ale malt. The specialty malts I buy in smaller amounts when I need them. Buying grain in bulk will bring your costs right down even after factoring in the cost of a mill. As a newbie to another newbie my best advice is to keep detailed records of every brew. I also have a lessons learned prompt sheet updated as I make mistakes or have wins.

I wouldn't jump into buying 25kg bags just yet mate. Milling, storage, costly stainless bling, and you know mate, I'm just saying. The world won't end tomorrow. As Bill Murray was advised in the movie 'What about Bob?', baby steps. Home brew shops provide a great service at milling what you need for the moment, at a very reasonable price. Yeees Dad.

Thanks again for all the comments and being welcomed into a lovely community.
I do agree that I've got alot more to learn and taking a jump into 25kg bags might be a leap before a step.
Im always looking at the most cost effective way tho.

I'm giving Introduction - How to Brew
A read now thanks.

I'm sitting here drinking a Cooper's draught from the keg, i'm very impressed how it came out with some added cascade hops and some light malt.
I've got a few more Cooper's brews to do before moving onto grains so hopefully I'll learn a little more before that.

G'day E S, what the guys before me have said is good advice. I have been brewing for 20+ years and only went all grain in 2017 after purchasing a Grainfather in 2016. I had that new toy for 12 months before I brewed my first all grain brew. I started by purchasing my grains by brew quantity, but quickly found that I had more control over my brews when I milled the grain myself. If you go down the road of bulk buying I would highly recommend a Mill Master as it has fluted, geared rollers, it is not cheap but well worth the money. Good luck in your new venture. 🍻

Back