Newbie Question About 2ndary And Cc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sab

Reaction score
Hi Guys, have done some some searching on racking to 2ndary and CC and have found some good info,allthough Im not to sure on how I should tackle it. I currently have a lager brewing and will keep it in primary for around 2 weeks , then do I
(A) Rack to 2ndary CC for a couple of weeks in fridge then bulk prime and bottle.

B. Rack to 2ndary,leave in 2ndary for a week rack again to another vessel and CC fo a couple of weeks in fridge then bulk prime before bottling.

Cheers.

sab.

Hi there,

I'd probably take option A. Rack to secondary, lager for a few weeks then prime and bottle. I'm into kegging now so I've racked a lager straight to a keg and it's been sitting in the fridge at about 2C for 3 weeks now. I'll leave it for another 3 if I can keep my hands off it.

I'd go with A, I fine it is not necessary to rack to a third vessle for cold conditioning.

I just usually:

Ferment, rest, rack and cold condition for as long as possible. 6 weeks is great.. but hard ha ha

yeah I am doing A right now.....primary for 3 weeks @ 11-12 deg C, then a diacetyl rest @ 20 deg for 3 days...then racked to a cube for secondary @ 0-2 deg C....probably won't touch it until early Sept, giving a 4-5 week 2ndary at CC temps....it will be kegged

(A) It is then guys,Thanks for the help.
:beer:

The longer you leave it there will be less yeast will be in suspension to carbonate your beer

Darren said:
The longer you leave it there will be less yeast will be in suspension to carbonate your beer
[post="70394"][/post]​

So if you cold condition your beer for a long time at low temperatures, much of the yeast will drop out, making a clearer beer. But with the less yeast, will the beer still carbonate? Or will it just take longer?

Hi Stebas,
I would rack to a 2ndary, bring it up to 20deg for a dacetyl rest about 4 days then let it drop down to 2 deg for a couple of weeks then bottle. A lot of the yeast will drop out but there will still be enough to carbonate but as you guessed it will take a bit longer. I bottled a schwarzbier at the end of May and it took about 5 weeks to carbonate properly. Drinking beautifully now.

Cheers
Brad

Latest posts

Back