Newbie Q. BIAB in a 19L pot.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to do an all grain BIAB American pale ale in a 19L Big W pot. I see some people "top up" with water after the boil in their fermentor to their desired batch volume. Doesn't this just make weak watery weak beer? How do I know how much top up water is too much?

This will be my second BIAB. The first was a successful small batch 5L but now I've got my hands on a Fermentasaurus I want to make bigger batches.

Any help much appreciated

You can't make 20L in a 19L pot. I up until recently was using the same pot using full volume BIAB. I wasn't topping up and I don't like the idea of a you say watering down. I was only managing batch sizes of 10L or so. I've just bought a Guten brewing system because I'd had enough of the stove top messing around and the small batches.

Hmm. That sucks. I keep finding more recipes and guides where people "top up".

This method is called partial BIAB right?

There are ways you can get a larger batch size. High gravity brewing (where you water down - online calculators available to determine how much to add and impact on gravity). Or you could do a batch sparge in a second pot/container then add that wort back into your 19l pot

Thanks Simon N. With the batch sparge am I right in thinking I'd still be limited to about 17L wort (to leave headspace for the boil) and then what ever I'd loose in evaporation during the boil?

Back