Newbie Q. BIAB in a 19L pot.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to do an all grain BIAB American pale ale in a 19L Big W pot. I see some people "top up" with water after the boil in their fermentor to their desired batch volume. Doesn't this just make weak watery weak beer? How do I know how much top up water is too much?

This will be my second BIAB. The first was a successful small batch 5L but now I've got my hands on a Fermentasaurus I want to make bigger batches.

Any help much appreciated

You can't make 20L in a 19L pot. I up until recently was using the same pot using full volume BIAB. I wasn't topping up and I don't like the idea of a you say watering down. I was only managing batch sizes of 10L or so. I've just bought a Guten brewing system because I'd had enough of the stove top messing around and the small batches.

Hmm. That sucks. I keep finding more recipes and guides where people "top up".

This method is called partial BIAB right?

There are ways you can get a larger batch size. High gravity brewing (where you water down - online calculators available to determine how much to add and impact on gravity). Or you could do a batch sparge in a second pot/container then add that wort back into your 19l pot

Thanks Simon N. With the batch sparge am I right in thinking I'd still be limited to about 17L wort (to leave headspace for the boil) and then what ever I'd loose in evaporation during the boil?

Latest posts

Back