Newbie Process Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendandrage

Reaction score
Hi all,
I picked up the ingredients for Munuts fak yak clone on the weekend, and just need some help putting it together sorry if these seem like stupid questions.

So i plan on bringing 5 litres of water to the boil and adding all the extracts and obviously boiling the for 60 mins for the hops additions.

My questions are at what point and how long do i add the grains?, i have a grain bag so intended on putting the grains and the hops for that matter in the bag and straight into the boil when the extract starts boiling??

There are 2 hops additions at flame out, again how long do i leave them in for?

Hopefully last question, the dry hop after primary - if i rack the brew to a jerry and add the hops and cold condition for 2 weeks then keg the brew will this be long enough and do i need to strain the brew to remove the hops before i keg??

Recipe below and thanks for your help in advance.

1.5kg Blackrock Unhopped Light Malt Extract
1.5kg Blackrock Unhopped Amber Malt Extract
0.5kg Light Dry Malt Extract
100g Light Crystal 60
200g CaraPils
15g Cascade @ 60 min
10g Nelson Sauvin @ 60min
15g Cascade @ 20 min
10g Nelson Sauvin @ 20min
15g Cascade @ Flameout
10g Nelson Sauvin @ Flameout
15g Cascade Dry Hopped after primary

SAF US-05 Yeast

You'd want to steep the cracked grains for half an hour in a litre or two of warm water first, strain and add the liquor to the boil, then proceed as planned. Bung the flameout additions in the kettle as you take it off the heat, leave them in throughout cooling and pitching, you may wish to leave the debris in the kettle but it won't hurt a bit for it all to end up in the fermenter. During fermentation the hops debris will settle out, while you want to add the dry hops addition towards the end of the primary ferment to retain as much late hops character as is possible.
HTH! :icon_cheers:

If you are doing a 5 litre boil you don't want to add both extracts as the boil gravity will be too high. Hop extraction works best when the
boil gravity is at 1.040.

I checked ianh's brew spreadsheet (stickied at the top of this section) and you would only need 475g of the liquid malt extract.

Also to steep the grains, you will need about a litre of water. The easiest way to get it to the correct temperature is to use 300 ml of tap water and 700 ml of hot (boil the kettle and let it sit for a few minutes). This should get a temperature of about 70 degrees Celsius which will drop to about 65-67 when you add it to the grains.

Leave it sit for about 30 mins and drain the liquid into your boil pot. Then add another litre of 70 degrees celsius water to the grains to sparge the grains. We want to get all the good stuff out of the grains. Stir the grains in the water and drain the liquid into the boil pot.

Make it up to 5 litres, add your LME, stir it in so it doesn't sink to the bottom and burn and start your boil. Once it is boiling start adding your hops. Make sure you have a bit of space between the top of the pot and the liquid as when you add your hops, the "frothing" of liquid is something to behold.

I also use a lid on the pot as you can lose a fair bit of water during a 60 minute boil on a small boil size.

The easiest way for me is to use ianh's spreadsheet, enter the recipe and click on the brewday tab. It gives a great set of instructions. I print it off so I can tick each step off and therefore I don't forget anything.

Hope this helps.

Just do a 5 litre / 500g LDME boil for your hop additions.
When you are chilling your pot down in the sink, strain and rinse your grain into another small pot and bring up to the boil. It doesn't take long. Use this hot liquid to rinse out the liquid malt cans after pouring them into your fermenter. Stir to dissolve.
Tip in chilled wort from pot and fill with water.

That is the first time i have used the Ians spread sheet and that is a great tool!

What type of pale ale is a fatyak considered to be?

Back