Newbie - Point Cook (melb) Vic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3taL

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post a bit of an Intro But it suits what im upto.....

Tossing up on Buying a Coopers Homebrew Kit or One off Ebay from Melb im weighing up pro's & cons of either few things i wouldnt mind knowing however,

The main plan is to save a little money and find a good hobby since iv moved to point cook i had to get rid of my Aquaponc System and Vegetable Garden so im bored shitless...

I drink a bit and enjoy moving around my premium beers Squires, LiL Creatures, But i love my Carlton Draught and Blondes and the mexican's as well.... so i thought id put some work into brewing up some beer.

Initial Plan is to Get up and running with a basic kit, Although i'll be getting rid of the dextrose and using some LME or DME instead and i want to get somthing that is simple and easy and wont need a great deal of conditioning time to get some brew in the fridge.

Then i'd love to get into a Nice Coopers Pale but that from what iv read will be better with a good 3-6 months of conditioning.

Once i get setup a little better and get a feel for it all i'll buy a kegging kit and make an old fridge into a kegerator, and then i'd like to move upto all grain, however i feel like i'll need a good few brews behind me before i get that far.

Iv done lots of reading, utubing and listening to my mate who has been doing all grain for a long time and i'm hoping im not going in too blind.

What i'd like to know is Mainly about Melbourne's water straight from the tap ok?

also PET coopers bottles are they terrible to use? or not too bad since im hopfully going to be kegging by feb-march. Iv got bout 12 coopers longys away in the cupboard but im gunna need a few more than that so PET's are cheap.....

Im sure ill have more questions and all when i get my brew in the fermenter next week!!

Cheers

Jamey

welcome aboard..take a look around and read up..marketplace is the section for bottles and other gear.

PETs are great - no capping!!

Kegging is even better :)

get on ebay for botles,

long term PET are a waste of money and effort.

Welcome. If you are going to bottle, go glass...

I agree, long term PET are a waste of cash. Glass is easy to clean and gives you a sanitary vessel if cleaned correctly...

Enjoy!!

I looks like the OP is only after a short term solution before getting keggin gear, PET bottles would be good for this. But if you'll be using bottles long term, then yes glass bottles are best.

When you guys say "Long Term" Is that in the sence of Long term storage or more in the sence of Long term Re usability, I could imagine they wouldnt be the best to clean. As i want to do a Pale and Age it up as my 2nd brew.

I will Probably Bottle brews that i want to let condition for a long time, Not sure if conditioning happens any quicker when kegging.... cant see how really unless the co2 does somthing other than carbonate.

Thanks for the Responses guys much apreciated..

Can anyone point me in the direction of a K+K Recipie that would be a Quick Brew in the sence of not needing to condition for too long to do as my first brew.

Cheers!

I second that. Apparently not too great for long term storage, but anything inside a few months is fine from my experience.

Oopps Just re read this..... maybe i better start collecting more glass (better go get a box of coopers pales :p) to put my Pale in that i want to condition up

I've heard varying stories about the longevity of PET bottles. Some say several years, but most seem to recommend about two years.

As for the 1st brew, mine was a Czech Pilsener - Mangrove Jacks - with brew enhancer. Two weeks in the fermenter, and three weeks in the bottle. Still my favourite kit beer, and just brewed another one a few weeks ago before trying my hand at AG. Should be ready to drink this weekend. :)

I've heard varying stories about the longevity of PET bottles. Some say several years, but most seem to recommend about two years.

As for the 1st brew, mine was a Czech Pilsener - Mangrove Jacks - with brew enhancer. Two weeks in the fermenter, and three weeks in the bottle. Still my favourite kit beer, and just brewed another one a few weeks ago before trying my hand at AG. Should be ready to drink this weekend. :)

Cheers Will look into it, I was thinking about doing the coopers Lager that comes with the kit but using all DME instead of the sugars that come with it...

you should be fine with Melbourne water as is

Cheers Mate!!

I was thinking about doing the coopers Lager that comes with the kit but using all DME instead of the sugars that come with it...

I wouldn't...not unless you spruce it up with hops or something. It's very bland on its own, even with the Coopers brew enhancer 2. I'd probably keep the lager kit and use it as a base for something else once you get a few more brews under your belt.

Hi Jamey
Welcome to AHB
I am moving to Point Cook around Christmas time, and have way too many glass bottles that i have to shift.
If you want you want you can have at least 2 dozen (750ml) bottles), that should get you started.
I am in Werribee now, not to far from you.
Cheers
Jim

Hi Jamey
Welcome to AHB
I am moving to Point Cook around Christmas time, and have way too many glass bottles that i have to shift.
If you want you want you can have at least 2 dozen (750ml) bottles), that should get you started.
I am in Werribee now, not to far from you.
Cheers
Jim

Cheers Jim that would be awesome maybe we could organize a time for me to come pick them up over the next few weeks??

Which Estate you planning on moving into??

Back