Newbie-pale Ale, Amber Ale Or Bock Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm about to have a go at my first time brewing. Got a beginners kit with Coopers Heritage Lager in it. I was hoping to go for Ales as it's easier for me to sit the fermenter in the kitchen where it's always around 17 to 20 degrees. It'd be harder for me to achieve the 10 to 14 degrees for lagers (maybe under the house?) - (Melbourne)
But my big question is what should I do for my second batch. I really like Little Creatures Pale Ale, James Squires Amber Ale, Shipstons Crew Amber Ale (ALDI) and two from the Flying Horse Brewery in Warrnambool, Billy Goats and Dirty Angels.
As you can see I like beers with full flavour. In particular the Billy Goats, which are described as a "strong red Bock lager" with an extended conditioning time (6.9%).
Any ideas on what I should try to get my tastes satisfied but with my non-existent brewing knowledge ?
Cheers,
Andrew

May I suggest that - even for the 'lager' kit that you have - buying new fresh Ale yeast from a local home brew shop and using that, will likely produce much better results than using the yeast included with the kit. You've already said your kitchen is the right temp, so with a good yeast you are well on your way to making even your first beer one you'd be happy to drink.

Any ideas on what I should try to get my tastes satisfied but with my non-existent brewing knowledge ?

+1 on a quality yeast.

I would suggest you brew for variety to help you decide what you like in a beer - and for a quicker turn around times with your beers, I would stick with Ales in lieu of lagers.

Temperature controlled ferment a huge benefit if you can - noting your steady temps inside its a great start.

So many beers are out there, grab some quality craft brews from your best bottlo' nearby to sample and see what you like.

As the others have stated, get yourself a fresh pack of decent yeast. US-05 is a pretty decent dry yeast that will give nice clean ales at 17-20'C

Also, if you like a little more flavour, have a read up on boiling hops and dry hopping. Even throwing 20-30g of a nice american hop (like cascade/amarillo for example) into the beer after most of the fermentation has done will give the beer an extra added dimension and that delicious fruity hoppy aroma you get from those pale ales you listed.

Best thing to do is, read up on here as much as you can, search like youve never searched before, and ask questions if you're still in the dark on some areas of brewing.

To improve you beer making, you've definitely come to the right place.

Sponge

Thanks for your quick replies guys,
I'll brew up the "starter" kit I have - just in case I stuff it up - i've got it anyway LOL
I'd like to have a go at another "complete" kit after that (one that has all the ingrediants)
Any suggestions on what I should get in the way of Amber Ale kits then at local (or online) home brew places like Liquorcraft or Aussie Brewmakers?
Thanks,
Andrew

Back