Newbie needs Ginger Beer yeast info

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Gale

Reaction score
howdy everyone.
I have just started brewing ginger beer by making a ginger plant or bug.
I have combined 1kg of sugar, 4 grams of stevia, 1/2 cup of lemon juice and water to make up to 10 litres with the ginger plant (bug) in a 15 litre fermenter.
The ginger plant was bubbling away well. I strained it through a hops bag.
The question is: should the ginger plant be enough to ferment the brew and if not what would be the best yeast to use? Don’t want to use champagne yeast as everyone says that tends to make it very dry.
If you can offer any advice I would appreciate it.
Brent

I'm assuming that you boiled the ginger so wild yeast would not have survived.

Personally I use any ale yeast I have (usually a kit yeast that I substituted for a decent yeast) but if I had to buy one I would just use uso5.

Alternatively if you wanted to take a risk and naturally inoculate your gb you could chuck some of the peal into the fermentor or some extra root that might have. I have heard that usually the wild yeasts that exist on the ginger will do a good job.

I'm assuming that you boiled the ginger so wild yeast would not have survived.

Personally I use any ale yeast I have (usually a kit yeast that I substituted for a decent yeast) but if I had to buy one I would just use uso5.

Alternatively if you wanted to take a risk and naturally inoculate your gb you could chuck some of the peal into the fermentor or some extra root that might have. I have heard that usually the wild yeasts that exist on the ginger will do a good job.
Used an old ginger plant recipe that used ground ginger rather than raw ginger. Have used it before straight into bottles but am trying fermenter to give a bit more kick and less likely to have bottles explode.

Latest posts

Back