Newbie from Alabama

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoopWoopYank

Reaction score
Hardest site I have EVER navigated.

EVER!

I'm from Alabama. Jealous of newbie, Davidc of Canada's hop growing capabilities. Have familiy in NSW's.
Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to a long-standing brewing relationship within this community.

Hardest site I have EVER navigated.

EVER!

I'm from Alabama. Jealous of newbie, Davidc of Canada's hop growing capabilities. Have familiy in NSW's.
Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to a long-standing brewing relationship within this community.
Somebody reply so I know this is a real site.

Welcome!

It's the middle of the night in Australia so that's probably why no one is replying.

I find the site relatively easy to navigate. It has just recently been upgraded and while there's a few teething issues it's getting there.

What do you like to brew?

Stouts and porters but step out occasionally. Saw some elec. brew comparisons and thought I might chime in.
Old school mainly but my taste's seem to gravitate toward single fermentation and if I need something more potent than 7 or 8 abv then in my book I need a shot of hard liquor, not beer.

Welcome aboard!
Fwiw, I find the site to be ~ok to navigate, per se; or at least I'm used to it now [emoji1].
However the search function is notoriously crap so that can be where a lot of people come unstuck: want to read about a certain topic, can't search for it, then have to trawl through pages for anything relevant. Can suck greatly. Google with an AHB tag can be your friend. (NB: admin did greatly improve it a year or so ago, so it's better these days, at least). Otherwise you (hopefully!) get the hang of the hierarchical subject divisions pretty quickly.

If you like darker beers, have you considered some of the Dark Milds. Manticle has a recipe in the Recipe section that well regarded.
Always feel free to ask questions, especially if you've already tried to research/read something and just don't quite get it.
Happy brewing!

PS: remember to use metric units in posts on here. [emoji6]

Thanks for the welcome.
Will definitely look at the dark milds. Like many styles, just don't much care for the citrus, piney bomb double ipa's that are all the rage.

And I'm sure I will catch on to finding my way through the site.

Looks as if I'll have to use a cheat sheet on the units. Works for overseas clerks trying to troubleshoot phone problems.

Welcome aboard!
Fwiw, I find the site to be ~ok to navigate, per se; or at least I'm used to it now [emoji1].
However the search function is notoriously crap so that can be where a lot of people come unstuck: want to read about a certain topic, can't search for it, then have to trawl through pages for anything relevant. Can suck greatly. Google with an AHB tag can be your friend. (NB: admin did greatly improve it a year or so ago, so it's better these days, at least). Otherwise you (hopefully!) get the hang of the hierarchical subject divisions pretty quickly.

If you like darker beers, have you considered some of the Dark Milds. Manticle has a recipe in the Recipe section that well regarded.
Always feel free to ask questions, especially if you've already tried to research/read something and just don't quite get it.
Happy brewing!

PS: remember to use metric units in posts on here. [emoji6]

Welcome!

What sort of brewery do you operate? I assume you use grains and have reasonable access to good yeasts?

I'm a kit brewer till I drop my first grain. Had a decent setup for about 3 years in the 90's, even a local homebrew shop nearby. Ended up toting it all to the roadside from my divorce in utter defeat. But my children are all grown, the ingredients are much accessible and fresher and I want to give it another go. Just don't have young neighbors anymore to help me drink the stuff.

I'm a kit brewer till I drop my first grain. Had a decent setup for about 3 years in the 90's, even a local homebrew shop nearby. Ended up toting it all to the roadside from my divorce in utter defeat. But my children are all grown, the ingredients are much accessible and fresher and I want to give it another go. Just don't have young neighbors anymore to help me drink the stuff.
Well sir, welcome to the forum! Very sorry to hear about the divorce but I'm glad the hobby has piqued your interest again.

Nothing wrong with downsizing and ensuring you have a few different beers available that you can grab, rather than ripping through a keg in a week with the people next door. Dark beers always seem to work well with extract, and if you can get your hands on some fresh chocolate malt, some nice crystal or some roast barley - and a solid yeast - you can make a great beer.

Most of the discussion on the forum happens in the General Brewing Techniques, All Grain or Kit and Extracts, General Recipe Discussion and Gear and Equipment - lots of great advice and some very knowledgeable people getting around.

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back