Newbie brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merlyn

Reaction score
Hi All

I've done a lot of tasting, but I'm a newcomer to brewing - about 4 kits in. I've just bottled my first extract and grain on the stove top. Can't wait to taste it...

Looking forward to moving to all grain soon and learning as much as I can from you guys!

Merlyn

As much as the jump to all grain sound soooo intimidating, it's a fairly simple process, and the quality and freshness will blow your mind! And no matter how good/bad brew day goes you will end up with beer and will have learnt a thing or two. Actually the learning never really stops, so many great styles, hops, yeasts and spec malts out there!

Enjoy the journey, ask lots of questions.

Thanks Malt Junkie!

I've been listening to brewing network pretty much non-stop for the last month and pumped to get into all grain.

I'll be sure to share my problems and questions

Merl

welcome where in sydney are you?
there are some really good clubs there.

Welcome mate. Enjoy the experience hey. Great advice and help to be had here on the forum I've found.

Hey barls - I'm based on the Northern Beaches, but work in the city. Do you know the deets of any of the clubs?

Thanks Brewnicorn!

Merlyn said:
Hey barls - I'm based on the Northern Beaches, but work in the city. Do you know the deets of any of the clubs?

Thanks Brewnicorn!
ISB would probably be a good fit if your working in town. Barls will give you a heads up, where and when. Top bunch of blokes (and the odd female brewer) and very knowledgeable. If Barls hasn't got on to you in the next few, pop him a PM.

Merlyn said:

Thanks Brewnicorn!
Hey Merlyn, we have a little Northern Beaches brew club going - search on Facebook, we always welcome newcomers!

I'm down in Brookvale.

malt junkie said:
ISB would probably be a good fit if your working in town. Barls will give you a heads up, where and when. Top bunch of blokes (and the odd female brewer) and very knowledgeable. If Barls hasn't got on to you in the next few, pop him a PM.
Thanks Malt Junkie, I'll drop him a line :)

klangers said:
Hey Merlyn, we have a little Northern Beaches brew club going - search on Facebook, we always welcome newcomers!

I'm down in Brookvale.
Thanks klangers, I did see the Facebook page, but it seemed like there hadn't been much activity for a while. When/how often do you guys meet?

Merlyn said:
Thanks klangers, I did see the Facebook page, but it seemed like there hadn't been much activity for a while. When/how often do you guys meet?
Hmmm, I'm wondering if it's the right page. There should be a few posts only days old.

We meet whenever someone bothers to organise a meet up. There is actually something happening at Nomad brewery this Saturday from ~5pm.

Hey guys

Thanks for welcoming me here. I have just tasted my first all grain (mini-BIAB) beer. I made a 10 litre batch of all Amarillo APA and it tastes pretty good! :D

However, when I kegged the beer (after 2.5 weeks in the primary) and pulled a small glass after a few days in the keg (I was getting impatient) it had a pretty full on sulphur (eggy) note. I've been burping the keg over the last week or so and the smell has subsided quite a bit but is still there in a small amount.

I used a Wyeast 1056 smack pack for fermentation (I've been told sulphur notes are normal for lager yeasts).

The other thing is that I have been using Sodium Metasulphide for santisation. I have read elsewhere that this can make the beer smell pretty bad.

The main thing is that it tastes pretty good, but I would prefer for my beer to smell great too!

It would be great if you had any ideas? Is it the Sodium Met.? I don't think it's an infection because it doesn't taste bad...

I made a second batch over the weekend and switched my sanitiser to no rinse, so I'll let you know how that comes out.

Thanks for any contributions in advance!

No matter what anyone says, you need to KNOW what YOU like and the devil what anyone else thinks.
That's the bottom line bro.

That probably isn't the best sanitiser, try an acid based one like starsan.
Did you do a D rest at the end of fermentation buy raising the temp a few degrees?

Hi guys, thanks for your comments. Just a follow up (sorry it's taken so long). I switched to Starsan and the second brew of APA came out absolutely brilliant. I didn't change anything in my method. Just the sanitiser. So it looks like the sodium met might have been the culprit?

Back