New Years Brewing Resolutions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Ok, you've had a week or so to ease yourself into the new year.
You are back at work (or almost :D ), and starting to think about the years brewing.
So what are your new years brewing resolutions ?

I know a number of you are getting the equip ready for you first steps into AG brewing, and others into mini/partial mashes etc.

Mine are to spend a brew day in a micro brewery (which I hope to do on a trip to NZ in a couple of months), start experimenting more with my mash schedules eg decoctions and step mashes, and to start gathering/hording the equipment to turn my AG brewing gear into a RIMS or HERMES.

So what are your NY brewing resolutions ?

Beers,
Doc

Given that I've just recently taken the leap into AG (only 2 brews down so far) my resolution revolves around temperature control for fermentation.

I'm going to somehow build/buy/beg another fridge, find somewhere to put it that wont cause domestic unpleasantness and make some half decent lagers as a result.

But first, I've got to build another mash/lauter tun as the first one I made isn't big enough :angry:

Trev

i'll start of with an easy one..

brew more than i drink :D

i still have the need every couple of weeks to buy commercial stuff.
but expanding my brewery i should almost be able to brew 23L per week.
just need to set aside some time.

cheers
crackers

Just get my AG up and running !
Going to be a RIMS from the start

two things...Brew more than I have this year

And with Trev on the second...get/build a bigger mash tun

* Fridge/s for temperature control of brewing and ccing.
* Kegs.
* Experiment with the mash, decoctions etc.
* Experiment with the boil - fast vigorous boil versus extended slow boil etc.
* A lot of work on understanding the effects of water chemistry.
* Improve yeast techniques.
* Perhaps start upgrading my basic all-grain setup to a bells and whistles one.

Mines quick and simple. I'm starting to get the gear together for AG, so my resolution would be "to brew at least one AG, full volume boil by year's end". In the meantime, I'm working on other things like sanitation routines, fermentation temp control, yeast farming etc.

Mine's to
1) try some new styles that are challenging, i.e extended lagered Marzen/oktoberfest, chocolate porter, weizen doppelbock. dare I attempt a lambic?

2) start a brewclub, which is missing in my part of town, and get some brewery tours, mash days, sampling nights, guest speakers etc happening.

3) convert more friends to homebrewing - I'm planning a group brew session to show them how easy it is.

4) drink my way through the menu at Brisbane's new Belgian beer Cafe! :D

Cheers - Snow

hmmmmmmmm my resolutions

drag everything out the brewery, hose it out with dilute beach, clean everything b4 putting it back in

replace my racking hoses, hardest to clean, cheapest to buy, so goodbye 3yo racking hose, sob!

go through the brewery spraying dilute bleach over all work surfaces, clean fridges etc with suitable sanitiser

Mainly though: Drop my ales on day two after pitching. Dropping is like racking in that you leave crap on the bottom of the fermenter behind. Unlike racking though, dropping involves aeration. the yeast gets a boost from the aeration and soon a new, clean yeast head is formed and the yeast cake is likelwise clean. Learn to harvest & culture yeast on platters, moron! yeast *costs*!

Jovial Monk

i dont usually make new year resolutions but this year is gonna be HUGE for me.
got my pail heater today so that should speed up my underated gas heater.
first ag brew will/should be in january .100kg of grain will be ordered next pay day.got a neighbour bringing back some specialty grains so i guess the new year resolution is to ag brew and hit it hard and learn and experiment as much as possible to get a good handle on this caper.
hopefully i will achieve some outstanding results and will endevour to change my megaswill drinking mates how good this home brew stuff can be.
i know its gonna piss off my next door neighbour who is kit and kilo of sugar brewer.his taste buds wont know what hit them. :D

cheers in 04
big d

1) Try and convince the wife I do not have an obsession or get her to accept my obseeeion more :)

2) Get at least two new brews perfected, an english bitter and ????

3) Try a few more WYEASTS (1028 next I think)

4) Keep improving my AG setup.

to go ag i have a tun going and a keg i have to modify then a 3 ring burner will be next and i may learn to batch sparge

i need to get on to the sly looking s/s fabricater who was suppose to cut the holes into my kegs back in the beginning of december. He went on holidays!!!!! :angry:

Apart from that my ag will be set up.

I would also like to getter a better taste sense for hops and yeast

looks like everyone is going to get some pretty serious brewing done this year. i guess the same goes for myself. im usually not into making new years resolutions (hey, if it aint broke ;) ) but this year i really want ot notice an improvement in my brews. not necissarily just ag, as my first one was quite an experience, but all around. maybe try using some different ingredients like honey or a bit of fruit even? well, its a long year ahead, but its getting shorter all the time!!
joe

Consistently make a good English bitter and a decent American Pale Ale.

Not so much a resolution but I will start doing partial mashes.

My humble aspirations: This winter I will brew a good lager.

Mine is to go AG. I've got everything together bar the esky so far. Things are looking good :) Also to try and get a few more mates involved/start a brew club. The more the merrier...

And to help drink the Knights to another premiership... :D :D :D :chug:

Shawn.

johnno part mash is a good way to learn and i have had good results with part mashes and soon i will go ag so it a learning curve and once i did my first i wont turn back..

wedge pm i may be able to help you im a shetmetal worker i have acces to 22mm step drill and may be able to mig weld the tap when i do mine (with stainles wire) and use an angle grinder to cut the top i will do that in the next couple of days

Partmash IS a good way to ease into all grain (I think full mash is a more accurate term as I sometimes add sugar, honey, spices etc to the kettle)

Start nice and simple but BREW! Then elaborate your set up to your hears content.

Yes I resolve to brew Pilsner and a Cream Ale this year, plus lots of old fashioned beers

Jovial Monk

Back