New year brewing resolutions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegBadgery

Reaction score
Anyone have any brewing plans for the new year? I think my main resolution is to be in a constant state of fermentation throughout the year - ie make sure I always have at least one brew on the go.

There's a porter in the brewing fridge and I'm planning a stout this weekend, so I think that's a pretty good start.

cheers
reg

What stout recipee are you going to use.....

Getting my equipment organised for grain brewing is my NY resolution. Then getting some good all-grain brews going.

Beers,
Doc

Strong Stout Recipee

I am predominately a kit brewing that uses some grains....here is the recipee for the last full bodied stout I made.

Equipment:
Morgans Dockside Stout
250gms of Dark Brown Sugar
250 gms of Lactose
1.5kg of light Malt
2 handfulls of Roasted Barley
4 handfulls of Chocolate Malt
6 handfulls of Crystal Malt
1 teaspoon of Chalk (optional)
2 handfulls of Goldings Hop pellets
1 teaspoon of yeast extract.
Yeast: I usually use Windsor Ale Yeast, However, the last batch was made with S04.
Windsor gives a more full body and some friuty tastes, esters.
S04 give a clean crispness to it providing temp is kept down to around 18 - 21 degrees.

Method:
Steep grains for approx 30- 45 mins in 5 litres of water at approx 70 degrees Celcius.
In a large Pot add Liquid Malt, brown sugar, lactose plus one handfull of Hops.
Pour in Steeped water from Grains.
Bring to a rolling boil for 10 15mins. Add next hand full of hops for a further 5 mins.
Turn off heat and let stand for a further 10 mins in saucepan.

Add can to sterilised fermenter. Add contents of saucepan to fermenter dont strain.
Stir vigorously then add cold water to 22 litres.
Make a yeast starter with yeast nutrient.
After 10 mins, pitch yeast starter into fermenter after checking that yeast is multiplying and OK.
Rack after 7 days dry hop with one handfull of Cascade pellets heated with just boiled water for a couple of mins prior to pitching into fermenter dont mix/stir in.
Let stand for 12 days and then in the fridge for a further 2 days ( as in Lagering) and then bottle.
I bottle with the beer still cold within half an hour after taking the fermenter out of the fridge.
I find this helps greatly to reduce the cloudiness of the finished beer and keeps the frothing down during bottling.

Recommended that this beer be left for 9 weeks to bottle condition and allow the flavours to balnce, develop properly. But is eminently acceptable after 2 weeks.
This produces a 6% to 7.0% Stout.
:chug:

I would like to try the next recipee with a couple of handfulls of either:
Pale Rye Malt
Pale Oat Malt

Any Ideas or comments.

This sounds like a delicious drop. I like the way you add ingredients by the handful.

I saw that you use yeast nutrient. What are you using and have you noticed a difference? I'm thinking of obtaining some wyeast or whitelabs nutrient. I've also read that adding a packet of dried yeast 10 minutes before the end of the boil supplies some good yeast food as well.

chers
reg

Yeast Nutrient

The Yeast nutrient I use is Lalvin Fermaid K....

I especially use it 2 teaspoons for Cider and Mead (when I make one this year).
and for all my Barley Wines, Strong Stouts and Scotish Ales.

I too have been told that adding a dry yeast sachet 10 mins from end of boil is god for nutrients.

I use my yeast nutrient as cheap insurance that my yeast will work well..when you pay $3.00 to $4.00 for a good dry yeast...another 50 cents for nutrients is OK and worthwile to me.

Using the yeast nutrient in the starter means that my yeasy get off to the best start i can give them.

Try it......
But One wasted/stuck brew that gets infected because the yeast did not work, is a waste of time and money...when 50 cents of yeast nutrient plus a good yeast starter would have alleviated this.

Where are you sourcing your yeast nutrient GMK - and what's the price? I've seen...

at www.shb.com.au
Wyeast Nutrient 1.5 ounces
$4.95
Wyeast Nutrient 4 pounds
$49.95
Yeast Nutrient 30g (Diammonium Phosphate)
$2.95
Yeast Nutrient 1kg (Diammonium Phosphate)
$19.95

www.esbeer.com.au have ...
White Labs Yeast Nutrient (Each vial will be enough for 25 batches of 22 litre) for $17.50

I haven't seen Lalvin Fermaid

cheers
reg

My resolution is to develop a specially spiced and 3 month lagered Christmas Lager for Chrissy 2003. I'm thinking corriander and lemon/lime atm.

Yeast Nutrient

I get mine from my local homebrew store - Brew Your Own At Home - in Kambah, Canberra, ACT.

email address is [email protected]
phone is 02 6296 1412.

Price is usually $7.95 for 100gms.
One teaspoon is approx 5gms...therefore, get almost 20 brews out of one bag....

My main New Years brewing resolutions are:

- do a Belgian Trappist Tripel
- do an oatmeal stout
- never run out of beer again
- convert my brother in law to home brewing

Cheers - Snow.

Latest posts

Back