• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

New year brewing resolutions

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

RegBadgery

Reaction score
Anyone have any brewing plans for the new year? I think my main resolution is to be in a constant state of fermentation throughout the year - ie make sure I always have at least one brew on the go.

There's a porter in the brewing fridge and I'm planning a stout this weekend, so I think that's a pretty good start.

cheers
reg

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
What stout recipee are you going to use.....

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Getting my equipment organised for grain brewing is my NY resolution. Then getting some good all-grain brews going.

Beers,
Doc

GMK

Reaction score
Strong Stout Recipee

I am predominately a kit brewing that uses some grains....here is the recipee for the last full bodied stout I made.

Equipment:
Morgans Dockside Stout
250gms of Dark Brown Sugar
250 gms of Lactose
1.5kg of light Malt
2 handfulls of Roasted Barley
4 handfulls of Chocolate Malt
6 handfulls of Crystal Malt
1 teaspoon of Chalk (optional)
2 handfulls of Goldings Hop pellets
1 teaspoon of yeast extract.
Yeast: I usually use Windsor Ale Yeast, However, the last batch was made with S04.
Windsor gives a more full body and some friuty tastes, esters.
S04 give a clean crispness to it providing temp is kept down to around 18 - 21 degrees.

Method:
Steep grains for approx 30- 45 mins in 5 litres of water at approx 70 degrees Celcius.
In a large Pot add Liquid Malt, brown sugar, lactose plus one handfull of Hops.
Pour in Steeped water from Grains.
Bring to a rolling boil for 10 15mins. Add next hand full of hops for a further 5 mins.
Turn off heat and let stand for a further 10 mins in saucepan.

Add can to sterilised fermenter. Add contents of saucepan to fermenter dont strain.
Stir vigorously then add cold water to 22 litres.
Make a yeast starter with yeast nutrient.
After 10 mins, pitch yeast starter into fermenter after checking that yeast is multiplying and OK.
Rack after 7 days dry hop with one handfull of Cascade pellets heated with just boiled water for a couple of mins prior to pitching into fermenter dont mix/stir in.
Let stand for 12 days and then in the fridge for a further 2 days ( as in Lagering) and then bottle.
I bottle with the beer still cold within half an hour after taking the fermenter out of the fridge.
I find this helps greatly to reduce the cloudiness of the finished beer and keeps the frothing down during bottling.

Recommended that this beer be left for 9 weeks to bottle condition and allow the flavours to balnce, develop properly. But is eminently acceptable after 2 weeks.
This produces a 6% to 7.0% Stout.
:chug:

I would like to try the next recipee with a couple of handfulls of either:
Pale Rye Malt
Pale Oat Malt

Any Ideas or comments.

RegBadgery

Reaction score
This sounds like a delicious drop. I like the way you add ingredients by the handful.

I saw that you use yeast nutrient. What are you using and have you noticed a difference? I'm thinking of obtaining some wyeast or whitelabs nutrient. I've also read that adding a packet of dried yeast 10 minutes before the end of the boil supplies some good yeast food as well.

chers
reg

GMK

Reaction score
Yeast Nutrient

The Yeast nutrient I use is Lalvin Fermaid K....

I especially use it 2 teaspoons for Cider and Mead (when I make one this year).
and for all my Barley Wines, Strong Stouts and Scotish Ales.

I too have been told that adding a dry yeast sachet 10 mins from end of boil is god for nutrients.

I use my yeast nutrient as cheap insurance that my yeast will work well..when you pay $3.00 to $4.00 for a good dry yeast...another 50 cents for nutrients is OK and worthwile to me.

Using the yeast nutrient in the starter means that my yeasy get off to the best start i can give them.

Try it......
But One wasted/stuck brew that gets infected because the yeast did not work, is a waste of time and money...when 50 cents of yeast nutrient plus a good yeast starter would have alleviated this.

RegBadgery

Reaction score
Where are you sourcing your yeast nutrient GMK - and what's the price? I've seen...

at www.shb.com.au
Wyeast Nutrient 1.5 ounces
$4.95
Wyeast Nutrient 4 pounds
$49.95
Yeast Nutrient 30g (Diammonium Phosphate)
$2.95
Yeast Nutrient 1kg (Diammonium Phosphate)
$19.95

www.esbeer.com.au have ...
White Labs Yeast Nutrient (Each vial will be enough for 25 batches of 22 litre) for $17.50

I haven't seen Lalvin Fermaid

cheers
reg

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
My resolution is to develop a specially spiced and 3 month lagered Christmas Lager for Chrissy 2003. I'm thinking corriander and lemon/lime atm.

GMK

Reaction score
Yeast Nutrient

I get mine from my local homebrew store - Brew Your Own At Home - in Kambah, Canberra, ACT.

email address is byoah@webone.com.au
phone is 02 6296 1412.

Price is usually $7.95 for 100gms.
One teaspoon is approx 5gms...therefore, get almost 20 brews out of one bag....

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
My main New Years brewing resolutions are:

- do a Belgian Trappist Tripel
- do an oatmeal stout
- never run out of beer again
- convert my brother in law to home brewing

Cheers - Snow.

Latest posts