New Wey. Bohemian Pils Malt Arrives

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Wadey

Reaction score
Hello Boys & Girls,
With the arrival of the new Weyermann's Bohemian Pilsner malt, I've found an excuse to do some decoctions. Never done it before, but really looking forward to doing something new, brewing wise. So I'm off to pick up Noonan and do some reading.

What a great hobby!
Ta Ta,
Peter

Pete
I have read Noonan's book a few times over & still haven't done a decoction. All that will change this Saturday. Czech yeast, Czech Hops, Czech grains!
Think I might make a Pilzner!
Catch ya
James

Hi
How many of you have tried to make a Bohemian Pils and get it right. This Style must be the hardest of all to get right. I have made at least 6 of them from single infusion to single decoction to double decoctions, lagered for 3 to 8 weeks. All of them were ok, but there was something missing.
All of them have used Saaz hops throughout and this is where I am thinking of changing, only in the bittering hops.
A question to all what would you suggest?
Maybe pride of ringwood would do the job?
Thoughts
Cheers
Ray

I know this will be out of style but im thinking of trying the new zealand hop nelson savin or southern cross to bitter one......or what about northern brewer or perle ???????? would that be better

I think I'm becoming emotionally erect! :beerbang:

...and I was just finishing a Kozel pils b4 I read this thread. :chug:

I plan to make a Czech Pils this Winter, and feel motivated to procure a bag from Mel. Will do this thru my lhbs (Mark).

Your recipe reminds me of one that Clive La Pensee advocated in Ausbeer, a while back. 5kg malt and 100g Saaz. I found out that it comes out wrong when U use DME instead of ag.

2c rounded down is still zero.

Seth :p

Good Day
I have had the same results as Ray, nice enough pils but not quite on the money (and I have done 15+ versions over the years). The bohemian pilsner malt from Mel is Bamberg's. Bad news is it is all sold but good news is he is getting more in.
Mel told me that Wes told him that this malt needs an initial rest at 55oC for 15 minutes. Hope this helps.

Actually I suggested a 10 to 15min MAX rest at 55C. I havnt brewed with it yet, but Weyermann pils malt has always been on the low side Kolbach wise. The spec says Kolbach 38 to 42. Compare this to the 43 to 44 we usually see with JWM Export Pils and you will get a good comparison. So I am suggesting a short protein rest to remove the risk of a slow runoff

The malt is darker than regular Pils - EBC 3 to 4. What will be interesting is to see what flavour difference there is. Look forward to your reports.

Wes

i've got my order in already. bet there's lots of brewers round the country making pilseners right now! most of the time us homebrewers end up stressing over how to compensate for this or that but this gives me the opportunity to do something truly masochistic and purist - i'm going to go 100%bohemian pilsener for the hell of it and do an acid rest, triple decoct and the works. 3 hour boil.
hopping will be with 12 saaz plugs (= 172g?) split evenly FWH, 80' and 20' like PU. should be hoppy i'm hopin.
WLP800, i'm going to try and ferment it 8C with no diacetyl rest but aerated heaps with a biggg starter and see how it goes. i'll try lagering three months if i dont run out of beer in the meantime.
should be drinking well by the time the weather warms up again

plzensky neonmeateprazjroj.

I'm lobbing up to your place in 3 months with my 1 litre stein in hand. :rolleyes:

na zdrav

Warren -

neonmeate said:
bet there's lots of brewers round the country making pilseners right now!
[post="63429"][/post]​

From the tone of this thread, it certainly sounds like it :) .

If you are making one, don't forget that Czech Pilsner is one of the selected beer styles in this year's revamped ANAWBS comp. We would love to see a barrel load of entries from the AHB Bo Pils brewers.

Barry, i rang mel this morning looking to buy a half bag of german pils, and he told me to try the bo pils, im picking it up on thurs. Maybe he got some more already. Anyway, my brewing philosophy has changed from " brew a completely different beer each batch just because i can" to " brew the same style over til iget it right ", and it just happens my styles are best bitter and nth ger pils. The first pils used 100% JW pils, and i was quite happy with results. Brewed the exact same beer with weyermann pils malt and have vowed never to use JW again, the difference is amazing!!. Interested to see how the bo pils turns out!!!, though i will have to tweak the recipe a bit.

P.S, you say this malt needs a protein rest, do you need to do this for both decoctions and infusion mashes???

Ray,

Not sure how to take your idea of sparging with boiling water.
Maybe as seriously as the POR suggestion, eh :)

Yes I already have a bag set aside too, you showoff :)
I was at Weyermann.de last night too, just to see what mention there was of this malt. Did you notice the protein rest was at the top end ie 60 deg C.
I received the same advice as Barry. (Thanks Wes for the clarification).

Checked out your recipe at Beertools.
See you upped the Carahell significantly, or perhaps
you mistakingly dropped the 2 in 0.25kg to get 0.5kg ???

Jim wrote,
"Czech yeast, Czech Hops, Czech grains"!

Jim,
Don't you know it's plain bad Karma to poke fun at dyslexic brewers checking their ingredients: grains - Czech,hops - Czech, yeast - Czech :)

mje1980,
Decoctions and infusions are just different ways of skinning (albeit slightly different) cats.
The rests are the same and driven by the malt, er cat.
What you can manage is determined by your experience, equipment, time available & sanity. I am deficient in at least half of these.

Rgds,
Pete

Good Day MJE
Happy you are getting some of the malt. I think Peter answered your question. I assume if it goes through that 55oC by infusion or decoction it is AOK.
I too try to make the same style often. In a few cases because I am happy with the result (eg foreign stout) and in other cases because I am not totally happy (eg Bopils). If I tried to brew over and over again untill I got it right I would still be brewing special bitters and nothiing else. :D .

Picked up a half bag of it today along with a half bag of maris otter mmmmmmm. Wont be brewing with it for a month or so as i am brewing a dunkel next friday. I tell you this hobby ( obsession?? ) is horrible, im gunna have to empty a keg of summer bitter now, what a damn shame!!. :)

Hi
For all those who have this new malt and want to do a decoction, you will need to adjust your recipe with your increased efficiency.
eg. Single Infusion for me is 65%
Single decoction is 72%
Double decoction is 80%

Might be old hat for most but important for those new at decoction.
Cheers
Ray

My pils is coming out of primary tomorrow.

Weyermann Pils, Carapils and Saaz pellets - nothing else!

Cheers,
TL

Hi Folks,

Long time since I've been here.

I was speaking to Phil Yates (Maltcraft) the other night regarding the suggested 55 deg/15mins rest for the new Bohemian Pilsner malt as I also have a bag.

He contacted Weyermann and sent me this information regarding a mash profile for this malt.

- doughing in with 35 C (5parts water to one part malt)
- keep a rest for 10 minutes
- raise mash to 50 C in 15 minutes
- keep a rest at 50 C for 15 minutes
- raise mash to 63 C in 13 minutes
- keep a rest at 63 C for 60 minutes
- raise mash to 68 C in 5 minutes
- rest for 20 minutes
- raise mash to 72 C
- rest for min 10 minutes max until saccharification(iodine-test)
- raise mash to 78 C and bring to the lauter tun.

I won't be going to this trouble....for me, 65 degrees for 90 minutes and keep the fingers crossed.

All the best,
Lindsay.

Linday,

I've been looking hard and from what I can gather about the only difference between this malt and regular Weyermann Pils malt is the barley variety.

BoPils malt is from a barley variety known has Hanka.

Protein total for regular pils is 11.0% and BoPils is 10.8%.

I'd uncross the fingers. My bet is a single infusion mash will do it no harm at all.

Warren -

Back