New Toy Drum Smoker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cooked for 12 on Australia Day. It was awesome!

Oh well I pained the inside. Does no harm, just prevents it from rusting.

I don't want to be a negative wet blanket type but just double check that - volatiles released from paint that has been exposed to high temperatures might not 'do no harm'.

Yep, i think you'll find that painting the inside is a no no. theres no need to paint it so why risk it??Once you season the inside with oil, the fats from the cook keep it oiled

I don't want to be a negative wet blanket type but just double check that - volatiles released from paint that has been exposed to high temperatures might not 'do no harm'.

It says on the paint tin that it's rated to 400C. Quite a few folks on the BBQ Bretheren website have painted their insides with similar paint... (although they're all in the USA)

Presuming the heat inside the smoker is under 400 I guess you should be fine. As I said - I don't want to be MR negative and I wouldn't suggest I'm Mr expert. Nonetheless it's worth checking and it's worth pointing out.

Smoked meats are super tasty.

It says on the paint tin that it's rated to 400C. Quite a few folks on the BBQ Bretheren website have painted their insides with similar paint... (although they're all in the USA)

Dont the Bretheren burn their new (to them) drums to get rid of the paint inside? - Or am i missing something - wouldnt be surprised :lol:

Most of em get spikes in their temps at some time or another - opening the lid for too long or forgetting to to adjust the vents or.........

O f course what you do is up to you - it would just worry ME thats all

Cheers

Mark

Ive been smoking meat and making jerky for almost 2 years now and never paint the inside of my drum, it doesnt need it and has built up a nice dark coating inside, not one sign of rust and it sitts on the back porch permantly, keep it simple and copy what works is my motto.

just my 24.09 cents worth :D

You dont paint the inside, you paint the outside :lol:
On the Inside, once you burn it out and clean it up, just oil it - called seasoning it

About time Duff :D nice legs mate :p

Stevo

Im currently making a smoker out of a keg and a small style webber hood. Anybody made a small smoke from a keg? I have seen a couple on the net.

I will post some pics when its done (hopefully next week)

Kleiny

The keg smoker is all but together i will post some pics tomorrow.

I am going to try and give it a run this week sometime, anybody got some suggestions on some decent wood and recipes.

I reckon i might try those little bacon wrapped things first.

Kleiny

The keg smoker is all but together i will post some pics tomorrow.
I am going to try and give it a run this week sometime, anybody got some suggestions on some decent wood and recipes.
I reckon i might try those little bacon wrapped things first.
Kleiny

A long slow smoked pork shouldersoaked for a few hours in cider vinegar. Dried & then given a dry spice rub, smoked for 8-12 hours then shredded. A home made bbq sauce added and dumped into rolls with 'slaw.

Pulled pork rolls. :icon_drool2:

mmm. Im buying 2kg of pork belly & about a kg of ocean trout today... To smoke on Saturday. Will try the cider vinegar trick.... :)

I did some pulled pork shoulder in the slow cooker a fortnight ago~.

- A dry rub of cumin, corriander, salt, pepper & fried all over for some serious caramelisation.
- Dumped in the slow cooker with a diced onion, a tsp of smoked paprika & ground chillis, 3-4 cloves of garlic, a few sprigs of thyme a tin of diced tomatos and a big splash of cider vinegar.
- Let it cook for 16 hours & shredded it.
- Ladled it out into a frying pan in batches and cooked it down until semi dry.
- Assembled in corn tortias with sour cream, cheese, salsa, a dash of chipotle tobasco and mixed salad greens.

Awesome.

Awesome indeed, but sour cream doesnt belong in real Mexican food ;)

Here's my favourite rub recipe:

2 Tbsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. White Sugar
4 Tbsp. Paprika
2 Tbsp. Chilli Powder
2 Tbsp. Ground Cumin
2 Tbsp. Black Pepper --freshly Cracked
1 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper

Put all of the above in a jar, close the lid and shake like hell. This makes enough to store for future use.

Ok pics of the converted keg smoker.

The keg is legal from a once local brewery who drilled a whole in it not to be used as a pressure vessel.
I got the old webber style lid from the recovery yard for $2
The grill is from my BBQ meat keeper (borrowed for smoking)
The fire basket is an old pot
The valve for air intake is all form the big green shed $10
all up under $20

Im going to burn it in today and hopefully do some ribs on it tonight.

223.jpg

227.jpg

Kleiny

I have been practicing smoking ribs over the past few months with my UDS.
It's been a challenge, the first few batches came out a bit tough.
Reason being temperature under the bottom grill was 10deg cooler than the top.
I was aiming to smoke at 120deg, but the top grill was reaching 130+.
The last few batches have been perfect, well for me anyway, and have had the temp sitting at 100 +- 5 deg over 5 hours, basted every 45mins with a mop of 50/50 vinegar and apple juice. I use a bbq sauce also in the last 30mins of the cook to glaze the ribs.
Lucky for me I have a good source from a local butcher who regularly has specials on ribs for $4.85kg (min 5kgs)

I have tried many rubs sourced from US forums and books, but have settled with an awesome recipe from Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book.
It's from a chapter on designing your own rub, and I have tweaked it using various other ingreedients, such as mustard powder and chicken salt.
Here's the recipe:

Sweet Rib Rub
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbs garlic salt
2 tbs kosher/sea salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground corriander
1/8 tsp allspice

Season the ribs to your liking, wrap and refrigerate min 2hrs, best overnight. An hour before cooking, remove from the fridge and allow to reach room temp. You can add more rub just before cooking, but not necessary.

Memphis - style championship red sauce (also from same book)
1 1/4 cups ketchup
1 cup water
3/4 cup vinegar
3/4 cup tomato paste
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup (bought from continental deli or substitute with a bit more sugar and water)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
4tbs honey
3tbs molasses
4tsp salt
4tsp worcestershire sauce
1tbs apple sauce
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
1 1/2tsp liquid smoke
1tsp onion powder
3/4tsp cornstarch
1/2tsp mustard powder
1/2tsp cayenne pepper
1/4tsp black pepper
1/8tsp garlic powder
1/8tsp white pepper
1/8tsp celery seed
1/8tsp ground cumin

Heat to simmer and cook until desired viscosity. It looks like a hard recipe, but it's well worth it, sweet and sticky with amazing flavour. Makes 4 cups.

Enjoy.

IMG_0401.jpg

Got stuck into finishing my smoker recently. All I have to do is make up a basket for the coals and find a decent thermometer then I'm ready for some meat.

Only got a couple of pics of when I was burning it atm. Had to tip it on its side to get the heat down the bottom of the drum. Bit of time with a wire brush on the end of the drill and it came up all nice and shiny. Currently getting 2 coats of pot belly black.

IMG_6526.JPG
IMG_6527.JPG

I
Lucky for me I have a good source from a local butcher who regularly has specials on ribs for $4.85kg (min 5kgs)

Ok Siiren,

come on, spill the beans, where is this butcher in Adelaide??

Mark

I had a great day yesterday.

2 kgs of baby back ribs, made according to this recipe.
2kgs of pork belly rubbed & marinated overnight
Big rainbow trout, soaked in brine overnight
whole chicken with a lemon up it's arse

Before:

IMG_1521.jpg

The smoke:

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

After:

IMG_1528.jpg

Look at that crackling! :icon_drool2:

where is everyone getting their dial thermometers from? Having trouble sourcing something that isn't incredibly expensive <_<

where is everyone getting their dial thermometers from? Having trouble sourcing something that isn't incredibly expensive <_<
Some cheap-ass online-deals place from Hong Kong/China/similar, there is a thread or two about it here (they also sell cheap digital thermometers), and I'll see if I can find the name/URL for you, should be somewhere in my email.

Edit: Is $3.99 cheap enough (only goes up to 100 though), but look around their website they should have more (that price includes shipping too).

Back