New To Malbourne - Any Tips On Home Brew Shops Near Ashburton?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently just recloated from Sydney to Melbourne. Anyone have any tips for me on a couple of good home brew shops around Ashburton?

Before christmas I did my first (and only) AG brew. I'm after a lhbs that stocks liquid yeasts, fresh hops, all the usual bits and peices and grain (and can also crack it for me). Any other tips such as decent bottle-o would also be appreciated.

cheers,

Andrei

Hi.

I haven't managed to find a decent HB shop near Ashburton... Only suggestion is to get an e-tag and take shittylink over to Grain and Grape in Yarraville. :)

As for bottle-o's Purvis cellars will be a few mins drive away They have a fantastic range of beers. They're at the cnr of Whitehorse rd and union rds.

Best bet, from my experience is G&g or try the shop in Greensborough, it may be closer to you. Other forum members speak highly of the dude up there. :D

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. I should have mentioned that I checked out "liquorcraft" in Oakleigh South quickly yesterday. That'll probably do as my "local" for the time being unless I hear of somewhere better within 10-15 mins drive. It sounds like I need to make a trip to Grain and Grape sometime soon...

Just noticed I screwed up the speeling in my title. Please don't take "Mal-bourne" to be any kind of judgement on my new city :)

cheers,

Andrei

If you don't fancy the drive out west to visit G&G, they do deliver at a reasonable rate!

Can also speak highly of Greensborough homebrewing, but travelling there from Ashburton
would be a similar length of trip to G&G, depending on traffic etc.

Welcome to Melbourne!

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. I should have mentioned that I checked out "liquorcraft" in Oakleigh South quickly yesterday. That'll probably do as my "local" for the time being unless I hear of somewhere better within 10-15 mins drive. It sounds like I need to make a trip to Grain and Grape sometime soon...

Just noticed I screwed up the speeling in my title. Please don't take "Mal-bourne" to be any kind of judgement on my new city :)

cheers,

Andrei
Hi Andrei,

the Oakleigh place is my 'emergency' backup only. I'm a G&G fan and I'm quite happy to take the 35-40 mins from Oakleigh rather than the 5 mins to the local. Mostly though I get them to send stuff from G&G by courier. You can now order online as well.

What I do is get to their shop maybe every 3 months just to see what's new, but in between get them to deliver.

Welcome to the south,

cheers, Arnie

Hi Andrei,

I'm with Arnie - I happily do the 25 minute drive to G&G rather than 1 minute up the road to Brewcraft.
Their staff are great, their range is incredible (yeast, hops, grain, bits, etc.), and their turnover guarantees you're not going to get a 2 year old bag of overpriced hops that's been sitting at room temperature gathering dust (Grrrrrr!).

Welcome to sunny Mexico!

I've heard of a beer & wine store that recently opened on Wellington Rd Clayton, somewhere adjacent to the Monash Uni - sounded like they might be into malt & hops rather than cans & sugars.

Failing that, being someone who just moved out of the area I can commiserate that Eskay Rd really is the best you'll get for a 10-15 minute drive.

G&G is easy enough to get to though without taking citylink, go the Princess Fwy all the way to the Westgate, on a Saturday morning its not much more than 20 minutes each way.

Thanks all!

I've signed up to G&G for future online purchases. I think I need to get down there in person very soon to check it out and purchase ingredients for my first Melbourne brew (this weekend or next). Eskay rd will do fine for emergencies...

Looking forward to putting the Melbourne branch of the North Narra Nano brewery into operation... Beer stocks are almost totally depleted now - need to get cracking!

cheers,

Andrei

cheers,

Andrei
I thought it was deliberate. Have a listen to the way Melburnians speak. "e" is often an "a".

Sorry, can't help with brew shops.

</hijack>

Latest posts

Back