New To Making A Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppysbarandgrill

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I have just started to make my first cider brew and im lost, I made a mix with black rock cider, a number 20 malt plus booster and 7.2 litres of non preserved apple juice, after 3 days it seemed a little flat so i gave it a stir and little bubbles started working. I did a read on day 5 the gravity was 1.010, it started at 1.050. It seems still a little lifeless and i had a little tatse and it was a bit sout/bitter is this because it only just starting. i was also thinking about putting in what my local brew fella says is a number 5 yeast and making a yeast starter with that to boost it along i wish to make a draught cider. I intend to make this a life long passion as i just brewed a ginger beer and the bug has bit me so if anyone can help this raw as an uncooked prawn brewer id appreciate all advice.

Cheers Hopper

At 1.010 its probably done (though hard to tell without knowing exactly what #20 booster is, and knowing how much you added.

What do you mean by lifeless - if you are talking about the airlock i would suggest you try searching for either airlock or kittens.

Was the spoon you used to stir it sanitised (note clean and sanitised are two different things). If not, the sour taste may be due to an infection. It generally not a good idea to open or put anything into your brew once you've started.

I assume your LHBS guy said US-05 yeast (not #5 yeast)? If so, then thats pretty good advice.

Do you mean dry cider, not draught cider? Draught beer is beer served on tap - not a particular style (don't get me started on Carlton Draught marketing BS)

i would suggest you try searching for either airlock or kittens.

gold.

there's a rule of thumb alot of the new players go by, when you think it might be finished do a gravity check with your hydrometer once a day, and if it's the same over 3 days, she's done. like Glen said, at 1.010 most likely it's done. i'v not much experiance with making cider though, other than the oztop kind.

personally, unless your in a real rush, i'd just let it sit in the fermenter for another week, let the yeast do it's thing and clean up any nasty flavours you might have in there. the cider is still a little green and might benifit from it. as they say DWHAHB (don't worry have a home brew)

welcome to your new obsession.

At 1.010 its probably done (though hard to tell without knowing exactly what #20 booster is, and knowing how much you added.

What do you mean by lifeless - if you are talking about the airlock i would suggest you try searching for either airlock or kittens.

Was the spoon you used to stir it sanitised (note clean and sanitised are two different things). If not, the sour taste may be due to an infection. It generally not a good idea to open or put anything into your brew once you've started.

I assume your LHBS guy said US-05 yeast (not #5 yeast)? If so, then thats pretty good advice.

Do you mean dry cider, not draught cider? Draught beer is beer served on tap - not a particular style (don't get me started on Carlton Draught marketing BS)

Thanks mate, i wouldnt expect it not to be done its only been 6 days, the kit is a coopers kit that has what they call some collar you take the collar off after 3 days and the lid sits loosely on top it worked fine doing the ginger beer. the spoon washed with mild soapy water and rinsed in hot water before i used it i guessed that was enough? When i mean lifeless i mean its just sitting doing nothing no head and the little bubbles seemed to have stopped and yes mate it was a us-05 yeast and would it be ok to put it in today? The tatse im after is like a strongbow draught. What should it smell like it kind of smells not good, Your helpfull hints many thanks.
Cheers Hopper

gold.

there's a rule of thumb alot of the new players go by, when you think it might be finished do a gravity check with your hydrometer once a day, and if it's the same over 3 days, she's done. like Glen said, at 1.010 most likely it's done. i'v not much experiance with making cider though, other than the oztop kind.

personally, unless your in a real rush, i'd just let it sit in the fermenter for another week, let the yeast do it's thing and clean up any nasty flavours you might have in there. the cider is still a little green and might benifit from it. as they say DWHAHB (don't worry have a home brew)

welcome to your new obsession.

Im in no rush mate just keen to get cracking and keen to brew my self some more im buying another kit today and more than likely end up with three in the end. I want to brew not just good but awesome flavours so im a fussy bugger and if its not right id rather start again its just doing my head in not knowing what im doing. And yes mate im obsessed.

Cheers Hopper

the spoon washed with mild soapy water and rinsed in hot water before i used it i guessed that was enough?
That's clean, but not sanitised. Get your self some no rinse sanitiser (your LHBS should have it). Uou should still avoid putting things in your brew once its going, but when your putting a batch together, everything should get a spray with it. (I have mine in a little squirty bottle).

yes mate it was a us-05 yeast and would it be ok to put it in today?
I wouldn't be adding any more yeast to this batch, like I said its probably done. I'd leave it another week to clean/clear up, check the gravity again (just to make sure it hasn't changed in the week) then bottle. US-05 is a good yeast to use for your next batch though (it'll produce far superior beer to the pack that comes under the lid of a tin).

The tatse im after is like a strongbow draught.
If I recall correctly, thats fairly sweet? You'll probably struggle to replicate that at home - the main problem with doing cider at home is that the yeast will keep eating all the sugar. Don't be tempted to try and sweeten it more when you bottle - that will just give the yeast more food and create bottle bombs. You can do things like adding lactose (which won't ferment out), but you're never really going to get there. The other alternative is to back sweeten in the glass (eg. 3/4 glass Cider, 1/4 glass apple juice). If you ever move to keeging, this changes completely since you can stop fermentation half way through, or back sweeten the keg, and not worry about bottle bombs.

What should it smell like it kind of smells not good
Did you smell it from the top of the fermenter? If so, you probably just got a nose full of CO2 (and got a nice burning sentation with it?).

buying another kit today and more than likely end up with three in the end.

If by kit, you mean home brew kit (and not kit as in tin) then check out your local bunnings. They have 30L water barrels that are perfect as a fermenter, and will set you back alot less than a "kit" from the home brew shop. Another alternative is the "cubes" or jerry cans (water version - not fuel) that bunnings sell. You can also get smaller 10 and 15L ones that are perfect if you want to do small experementation batches. I use the 20L jerrys (they hold 20L + a decent amount of head space) because it lets me fit 3 across my fermentation fridge.

And speaking of fridges, before you go too gung-ho, you should look into temperature control. That will be the biggest thing you can do to improve your brew.

Temp control is the best thing you can do to control flavour. The second best i found is to prime your bottles with fresh apple or pear juice. Pear juice will be a little sweeter. 5 ml per 330ml stubby will give you a light carbonation. If you want a strongbow carbonation add more. But i will say if you like strongbow just drink strongbow. You might make something similar but you'll never make the same.
I do know strongbow & mercury use about 10% pear juice in their cider to make them a little sweeter.

That's clean, but not sanitised. Get your self some no rinse sanitiser (your LHBS should have it). Uou should still avoid putting things in your brew once its going, but when your putting a batch together, everything should get a spray with it. (I have mine in a little squirty bottle).

I wouldn't be adding any more yeast to this batch, like I said its probably done. I'd leave it another week to clean/clear up, check the gravity again (just to make sure it hasn't changed in the week) then bottle. US-05 is a good yeast to use for your next batch though (it'll produce far superior beer to the pack that comes under the lid of a tin).

If I recall correctly, thats fairly sweet? You'll probably struggle to replicate that at home - the main problem with doing cider at home is that the yeast will keep eating all the sugar. Don't be tempted to try and sweeten it more when you bottle - that will just give the yeast more food and create bottle bombs. You can do things like adding lactose (which won't ferment out), but you're never really going to get there. The other alternative is to back sweeten in the glass (eg. 3/4 glass Cider, 1/4 glass apple juice). If you ever move to keeging, this changes completely since you can stop fermentation half way through, or back sweeten the keg, and not worry about bottle bombs.

Did you smell it from the top of the fermenter? If so, you probably just got a nose full of CO2 (and got a nice burning sentation with it?).

Hey mate thanks again,

OOPs i did put in the us-05 yeast hope it doesnt kill it, i took a sample to the home brew shop and the bloke told me the smell was alcohol probably because all the extra sugar in the apple juice he thinks as you said it should be ready to be bottled by weeks end so im keen to do this, great idea to go to bunnings i did get another brew kit from ebay but as i want abount three my next one is from bunings, as for the top idea of a spray bottle what ratio to water should i use with the non rinse sanitizer? i do like mercury cider so maybe next batch ill put in two litres of pear juice with 4 litres of apple juice. if i did put pear juice in the bottle to start with do i still add carbonation drops?

Thanks again mate Hopper

as for the top idea of a spray bottle what ratio to water should i use with the non rinse sanitizer?

depends on the NRS you get... Starsan is 1.5ml per liter.. Iodophor is 2ml per liter (I think).. others vary... generally though, follow the manufacturers advice, It will (should) be written on what you buy.

OOPs i did put in the us-05 yeast hope it doesnt kill it
Will be fine, just a waste of yeast.

if i did put pear juice in the bottle to start with do i still add carbonation drops?
If you added the pear juice before fermentation, then yes, use carb drops (or do a search for bulk priming - much better). If you add the pear juice at bottling time, then you use the pear juice instead of the carb drops.

as for the top idea of a spray bottle what ratio to water should i use with the non rinse sanitizer?
Just whatever it says on the bottle.

I'm only a new brewer myself, and have been brewing dry ciders with mixed success for the last 8 months.

I've never tried lactose. I was considering it but then read how much is needed to be noticed and never bothered.

As for bad taste/smell, I've never had an infection as I've adhered to strict sanitation from day one, but I can tell you that cider benefits greatly from aging it a few months. I just cracked a brew that was in primary (in a fermenting vessel) 2 weeks and bottled for over 3 months. Tasted awful 3 weeks in the bottle but tastes good now. Can probably benefit from a few months more in fact.

I only once used a kit (black rock) and have used preservative free berri and aldi juice since, turned out better, most likely due to yeast change (use SN9/champagne yeast now)

I'm only a new brewer myself, and have been brewing dry ciders with mixed success for the last 8 months.

I've never tried lactose. I was considering it but then read how much is needed to be noticed and never bothered.

As for bad taste/smell, I've never had an infection as I've adhered to strict sanitation from day one, but I can tell you that cider benefits greatly from aging it a few months. I just cracked a brew that was in primary (in a fermenting vessel) 2 weeks and bottled for over 3 months. Tasted awful 3 weeks in the bottle but tastes good now. Can probably benefit from a few months more in fact.

I only once used a kit (black rock) and have used preservative free berri and aldi juice since, turned out better, most likely due to yeast change (use SN9/champagne yeast now)

Hey mate i used 7.2 litres of juice in my black rock cider, i will use us-05 yeast from know on. What recipe did you follow.

Cheers Hopper

22L apple juice (aldi, or berri, whatever you can get cheap)
Pitch SN9 yeast

Hey guys,

First reading since i put in the other yeast and ive been watching it and it still seems to be lifeless, today it read 1.008 and if its the same tomorrow i guess its bottle time. Can anyone describe how it should taste about know. I have read in some articles to leave it bottled for about three months before i crack one, is this true or is three weeks enough. Im keen to keep trying so i will make another brew maybe to another recipe. One other thing whats the best method when i use a yeast starter, how hot the water? how much sugar and water and how long do i let it sit before i add to my mix.

Cheers Hopper

Hey guys,

First reading since i put in the other yeast and ive been watching it and it still seems to be lifeless, today it read 1.008 and if its the same tomorrow i guess its bottle time. Can anyone describe how it should taste about know. I have read in some articles to leave it bottled for about three months before i crack one, is this true or is three weeks enough. Im keen to keep trying so i will make another brew maybe to another recipe. One other thing whats the best method when i use a yeast starter, how hot the water? how much sugar and water and how long do i let it sit before i add to my mix.

Cheers Hopper

It'll taste (and smell) super alcholic, time will fix this though. 3 months is probably a bit more than you need to, but it will definately improve with age, so leave it as long as you can.

edit: As for the starter, have a read of this thread

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=54900

It'll taste (and smell) super alcholic, time will fix this though. 3 months is probably a bit more than you need to, but it will definately improve with age, so leave it as long as you can.

edit: As for the starter, have a read of this thread

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=54900

ok mate it does tatse a little funny ill see what it reads in the morning then bottle it and leave it for three months.

Cheers Hopper

ok mate it does tatse a little funny ill see what it reads in the morning then bottle it and leave it for three months.

Cheers Hopper

Hey guys, I bottled my cider final gravity reading 1.006 started at 1.050 so if i worked it out correctly should be about 5.5 to 5.8 % its inside with an electric blanky for one week the two weeks in a normal blanky then to be shelved for 2- 3 months. Really cant wait to taste it. Next up i will brew the straight juice type with yeast hoping to make a real arse kicker, if i make this type of cider will it be fairly bubbly like i said im new to this. Its been an amazing four week period ive brewed and bottled a ginger beer 3.8 % the above cider and in the barrel i have a beer guess i got bitten by the brew bug.

Cheers Hopper.

P.s any of you people near sunbury victoria

Back