New to home brewing need some help if i could please.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncang1975

Reaction score
Hi all i have just started home brewing again after many years.

I went to the local brew shop and got all the required things to make beer.

The guy at the shop knew what i needed and took all my money at the same time lol
he sold me what is know as a tea bag with hops i take it.

Now here is my question, I followed the directions on the teabag package which said
throw into boiling water for 10 mins and then add to the fermentor. teabag and all.
the teabag has busted open and all the stuff that was in it is now sitting on top of the brew
in the fermentor and the whole lot looks like pea & ham soup. (couldy as).

Is this normal and will it settle. Temp is at about 24 degrees.

Reguards
Duncan

duncang1975 said:
Hi all i have just started home brewing again after many years.

I went to the local brew shop and got all the required things to make beer.

The guy at the shop knew what i needed and took all my money at the same time lol
he sold me what is know as a tea bag with hops i take it.

Now here is my question, I followed the directions on the teabag package which said
throw into boiling water for 10 mins and then add to the fermentor. teabag and all.
the teabag has busted open and all the stuff that was in it is now sitting on top of the brew
in the fermentor and the whole lot looks like pea & ham soup. (couldy as).

Is this normal and will it settle. Temp is at about 24 degrees.

Reguards
Duncan
This actually happened to me on my very first brew as well (and I freaked out thinking I'd destroyed the batch!

not to worry though, the hops will settle out and fall to the bottom of the fermentor in time. It'll be fine.

In fact once you get back into the craft / obsession it's cheaper to buy the hop pellets by the 90 or 100 gram and just toss a quantity into the Fermenting Vessel.

Heh heh, yeah I've done that. It'll settle to the bottom with everything else.

Duncang....
Keep your Temperature down to about 20 Deg. NOT 24 Deg.
Keep things COOOL
PJ

Hi PJ would wrapping a cold towel around it do the trick?

Cheers
Duncan

It would help.

Sit the whole thing in a water bath with towels around it if you can.

Ok i now have it sitting in a water bath shall i leave it in for good or just a short period of time.

You can leave it in there until it has finished fermenting. Maintain a cooler temp using ice bricks if necessary.

It does depend a little on the type of yeast you have used but generally 18-22 is a decent range for most ales. Fermenting wort generates its own heat too.

Thanks people did the water bath thing and it's starting to clear up.

King reguards
Duncan

Latest posts

Back