New To Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in this too.

If you took Lord Gaja Goombas recipe:-

20L Aldi Apple Juice,
Red Star Montrachet Yeast
Let it get to 1.010, and cold crashed. Gelatined to run the yeast out (I keg, so I can, but bottlers will require to run the yeast dry).
Then 600g of strawberries in secondary vessel and racked the clear cider onto it for a week's soak in strawberry mashed up.

What alcohol % would you expect to get? Look at the sugar content on the bottle, specified in grams/100ml - use that to calculate SG or just pop a hydro in it and measure it.
Is there an ideal temperature for brewing cider?16-18c, largely yeast dependant. I find 16-18C worked OK for white wine yeast and US05.
I assume you can bulk prime bottles as you would for beer?Yes

Cheers

Matt

Abv will be a case of OG vs FG as with beer. If you stop it at 1010 and start between 1050 and 1060, you could expect roughly 5-6% abv.

I prefer my ciders fermented at the lowest end of whatever is recommended for the yeast. Not used that yeast.

Yes you can bulk prime etc.

I'm interested in this too.

If you took Lord Gaja Goombas recipe:-

20L Aldi Apple Juice,
Red Star Montrachet Yeast
Let it get to 1.010, and cold crashed. Gelatined to run the yeast out (I keg, so I can, but bottlers will require to run the yeast dry).
Then 600g of strawberries in secondary vessel and racked the clear cider onto it for a week's soak in strawberry mashed up.

What alcohol % would you expect to get? I don't think you'd get a huge amount of sugar from 600g of strawberries... don't know exact numbers though.
Is there an ideal temperature for brewing cider? Depends on the yeast, but i prefer mine fermented at the colder end of the spectrum. I generally use white whine yeast at 16ish.
I assume you can bulk prime bottles as you would for beer? Yes, as long as its fully fermented and still has at least some yeast in it. Which means unless you want a dry cider, you may need to backsweeten with lactose or similar. Make sure if you are bottling, you let the yeast fully ferment- ie, don't use the process you outlined above.

Cheers

Matt

Back