New to brewing.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big gumbo rivers

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I started a couple of weeks back with a homebrew kit off gumtree for $50.
I've fermented a Mangrove Jack - Classic Blonde Dry with some additional Brewers Booster from my LHBS. Bottled it yesterday. Going to leave it for a couple of weeks then get it in the fridge.

I've also been trialling cider with different brands of Apple, Apple & Pear, Apple & Blackcurrant Juices with SN9 and Mad Millie Cider Yeasts. I've just bottled them and again waiting for them to be ready for the fridge. Jeez it's hard waiting for the first batch to be ready. I understand the longer you can leave it the better it will be, but gosh.

While waiting for those babies to be ready I've loaded the fermenter up with 30L of Birdwatchers sugar wash. I've nearly finished a basic 9L pot still with a copper pipe worm submerged in a bucket of water. I'm finding it difficult finding the right parts to get it all together. I'll need to keep trawling through forums. End goal is to make rum, but figured I want to learn about getting the cuts right first with white spirit before fermenting with molassas etc. I'll be using my white spirit as a base then flavour it for rum until I'm more learned.

That's where it's at.

Thanks for all the useful information in this community. I've been reading for the last month or so before starting all of this. Maths, Chemistry and Physics are coming back to me from High School. It should have been tought in context of homebrew. People would have payed more attention. I'll be sure to post up learning’s, questions etc.

Happy brewing.

Welcome bgr
Keep that spirit work to yourself round here.
Although many members on here 'purify water', its not allowed to be discussed on this beer forum.
Many distillers use this forum.

I figure I drink too much beer anyway, if I started making spirits I'd be permanently plastered...

Good on you for jumping in with both feet though, I'm only just dipping my toes at this stage :)

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

Of course I was refering to distilling water. And beer is a fine drop where ever 'ail from.

Is that the old Bongaree Jetty in your avatar? I just moved from there in October :lol:
Welcome to the obsession.

Back