New to brewing Northern Victoria

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDPet

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just started brewing with a cider kit from Mangrove jack.
hopefully everything will go right.
Did I sanitise enough ?
had some trouble getting it up to temp in our cold winter but think I have that under control now as it is bubbling away nicely.
I have ordered a temp control unit and will install this in a fridge that I have with a heat pad to try and get a cosistant temp going in the future.
Not sure if there is any groups around Echuca or Bendigo if so I would be interested.
cheers
Steve

Hello Steve, welcome aboard. Any other brews you hope to make?

Hi all,
I have just started brewing with a cider kit from Mangrove jack.
hopefully everything will go right.
Did I sanitise enough ?
had some trouble getting it up to temp in our cold winter but think I have that under control now as it is bubbling away nicely.
I have ordered a temp control unit and will install this in a fridge that I have with a heat pad to try and get a cosistant temp going in the future.
Not sure if there is any groups around Echuca or Bendigo if so I would be interested.
cheers
Steve
Hi Steve,
I often wonder about cider. Where I come from cider is made on farms where the apples might get hosed down if they're lucky then crushed and pressed in equipment that probably did get a thorough hose down after last year's cider-making, and then left to ferment with the wild yeast left on the apples. So much for sanitation!!! I make my own cider using much the same process except that I use a known-strain yeast. I've never had cider go off, but if I've been sloppy about my beer equipment sanitation, I now there's a real risk of losing the batch. This remains one of the mysteries of the universe as far as I'm concerned.
Another thing, farmhouse cider is made when the apples are ripe and full of sugar, which is late autumn or beginning of winter. It's gets cold here too, but I've never heard of anyone heating a cider barn.
Good luck with your first batch and welcome to Valhalla.

Hi, @SDPet I'm curious to know how your cider kit turned out. Any updates?

Latest posts

Back