New to brewing, help with krausen or possibly mould?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferg91

Reaction score
Hi all!!
I’m extremely new to brewing and a friend suggested trying to brew mead, I have made my must up and pitched a teaspoon of keviek ale yeast into a gallon carboy, with bottled spring water and 1kg of honey.
Everything was sanitised and I’m at the two week mark tomorrow and was going to rack. It has formed a foamy top and with about of research found it might be krausen, I just want someone’s visual expertise to let me know if it looks like mould or is in actual fact krausen.
I’m extremely sorry if this has been answered already.
Have an awesome day!!

Attachments

• 2A528CE3-819E-479F-95A6-BFE9D07BD49E.jpeg
    2A528CE3-819E-479F-95A6-BFE9D07BD49E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I haven't made mead before or used Kviek yeast, but that looks like krausen to me.

If you google 'spotting infections in fermenter' there's a more beer article with some good photos of what common infections look like.

I've read some comments from other brewers that any time you see green, brown or black mold on the top of the liquid or in the fermenter just ditch the batch, and take a real good look at your equipment as you've likely got a big problem somewhere. You don't have this issue - but the article doesn't have images of any this kind of infection.

I haven't made mead before or used Kviek yeast, but that looks like krausen to me.

If you google 'spotting infections in fermenter' there's a more beer article with some good photos of what common infections look like.

I've read some comments from other brewers that any time you see green, brown or black mold on the top of the liquid or in the fermenter just ditch the batch, and take a real good look at your equipment as you've likely got a big problem somewhere. You don't have this issue - but the article doesn't have images of any this kind of infection.
Thank you!!!

Hi all!!
I’m extremely new to brewing and a friend suggested trying to brew mead, I have made my must up and pitched a teaspoon of keviek ale yeast into a gallon carboy, with bottled spring water and 1kg of honey.
Everything was sanitised and I’m at the two week mark tomorrow and was going to rack. It has formed a foamy top and with about of research found it might be krausen, I just want someone’s visual expertise to let me know if it looks like mould or is in actual fact krausen.
I’m extremely sorry if this has been answered already.
Have an awesome day!!
Hi Ferg91

I regularly make mead and would be happy to chat with you about it. When I started on my journey I lost a lot of batches following poor advice on YouTube.

Good channels are "Doing the most" and "Man made mead".

Your pic just looks like a yeast float which is nothing to worry about.

Hi Ferg91

I regularly make mead and would be happy to chat with you about it. When I started on my journey I lost a lot of batches following poor advice on YouTube.

Good channels are "Doing the most" and "Man made mead".

Your pic just looks like a yeast float which is nothing to worry about.
Thankyou!!

Back