New to All Grain, please confirm recipe conversion.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damn

Reaction score
G'day,

I've been doing partial's now for my last 10 brews and are ready to try an all grain brew. I'm going to convert the cans to grains from my favorite partial and want to confirm my calculations. Will be doing the BIAB method via http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/38674-move-to-all-grain-for-thirty-bucks/. Here's my partial recipe

3 Kg Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract = 4kg JW Pale malt?

800g Pale Malt
500 g 60L Crystal Malt Briess caramel

15 g Magnum
15 g Perle
84 g Cascade

I'm swapping the LLME for Joe White Pale Malt at a ratio of .75kg of extract for 1kg of grain. Therefore making it a total of 4.8kg JW Pale malt.

Another question. Can I do a straight swap for the 60L Crystal malt (120 EBC) for JW Crystal (135-150 EBC) or would you recommend another grain?

http://www.kegking.com.au/Downloads/Grain%20and%20Hop%20Prices.pdf

Thanks for any help.

My calculations (beersmith) are that 3kg LLME = 4115g, which is based on 72% brewhouse efficiency. So I'd say 4kg is a fine point to start from. 4800 pale + 500 crystal hits precisely 1.050 in 23L so is not outside normal ranges for APAs etc. The differences between different Crystals of the same EBC are subtle and probably not worth dwelling too much over in your early days in full AG brewing. I wouldn't have a problem with Briess and JW for an APA.

Looks great. I always preferred Bairds Perle Ale malt, Thomas Fawcett (TF) Perle or when neither were available, TF Floor Malted Maris Otter (TFFMMO). I like the richer, maltier taste in the beer it provides, but that's personal taste.

If I did use the TFFMMO, I reeled back the crystal just a teensy bit.

Your conversions look pretty much spot on.

You'll struggle to mash over 4kg of grain in a 19L pot.

Nick JD said:
Your right Nick, I'm glad I put up this recipe. Just reading on full size boils now. From initial investigation it sounds like I need about 33L of water. Hmmmm, must say I'm not keen on another 19L pot. Have to do a rethink. May have to come around to second pot as larger pots the dollars start to soar.

Get yourself a copy of Brewmate, if you haven't already, and scale it down to a more manageable size.

The one advantage of a second pot is that if you are using a lauter, then you can fill one pot, whilst reheating sparge water in the 2nd.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/60922-2-pot-stovetop-ag-with-lauter/

It depends on whether you want/have the budget for a bigger pot and the burner, or whether being uber-ghetto is the necessary evil required to keep it budget.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
But not 2 :ph34r:
Saw this coming from a mile away hehe you should do an instructional video, LRG! The concept of lautering can be overwhelming to an AG noob.

That's why I thought scaling down to say 10L would be a good way to start, and move up from there.

Nick JD said:
Damn said:
Your right Nick, I'm glad I put up this recipe. Just reading on full size boils now. From initial investigation it sounds like I need about 33L of water. Hmmmm, must say I'm not keen on another 19L pot. Have to do a rethink. May have to come around to second pot as larger pots the dollars start to soar.
I usually mash 4.5 kg in a 19 L pot (12 L of water - L:G = 2.67:1) and then dunk sparge in another. Then do concentrated boils in 2 x 19 L pots. Then dilute to get my desired OG. Not the least labour intensive solution but makes some tasty beer :)

iralosavic said:
Saw this coming from a mile away hehe you should do an instructional video, LRG! The concept of lautering can be overwhelming to an AG noob.
Nah, I don't reckon lautering is difficult at all for a newb vs BIAB.

BIAB you pick up bag and hoist it to let liquid squeeze out - the bag acts as a sieve. Lautering, you move the grain-water into a sieve you've made out of plastic buckets.

Either way, pretty easy. The big thing for the newb is mash temp and use of hops.

I should make a video, one day. But funny enough, I don't reckon this is, or isn't the best 'budget' method of brewing AG beer. Just another method. In much the same way as nick's stovetop thread -it's more about "how do you go from grain, to liquid, to boil, to ferment" and the fact that there are many ways to skin the budget cat.

And I reckon the piccies make it pretty much self explanatory.

But yeah, a video might be a great idea. I have a tablet that will do the trick, but I no longer own 2 pots, since the move from Qld.

don't forget to put some times on the hops and figure out the IBU's.

Back