New Thermostats. Cheap! Compact!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
I've come across new thermostats on ebay. They look much cheaper, and more compact than the one I built using the STC-1000.

I'm talking $11! It can heat OR cool (glows red or green). It will only be accurate to within +/-1 degree unfortunately, but I think that is acceptable.

Example: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Thermostat-For-Reptile-Snake-Lizard-Heat-Mat-Lamp-Incubator-Aquarium-/110940631034?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item19d493affa

What do you think?

thermo.jpg

it appeared to work adequately enough for fermenting while it lasted.

I had it in a semi-exposed location (verandah under roof) which could have contributed to it's demise. All up it was a crappily built POS and felt like it would explode if you dropped it.

It could be fine for a cheap, lazy (& possibly short term) solution.

I've been running one for about a year now,
Seems to work fine, but you can only heat OR cool, not both
plus not being able to use custom probes kinda sucks

sp0rk said:
The probe looks like a 10K ohm NTC, just cut the wire and join in a different one.

QldKev

sp0rk said:
For another $11, get two. One for the fridge and one for the belt/lamp/pad. I guess as long as you have a fairly generous gap in temp max/min you might get away with it.

Great price. Definitely an option for convincing tight-arsed brewing mates to try temperature control...

sp0rk said:
<snip>
That's the key issue here, it can only have either a heating or a cooling device plugged into it...it can't switch between heating and cooling like an STC-1000. So it might be ok for turning a fridge on during summer, or a heat belt/lamp during winter.

I guess if you're keen enough, and can't afford the extra $9 for an STC, you could plug your fridge into it in the morning, then pull that out and plug in your heating appliance of an evening (unless you're expecting a HOT night).

brad81 said:
For another $11, get two. One for the fridge and one for the belt/lamp/pad. I guess as long as you have a fairly generous gap in temp max/min you might get away with it.
Then you're taking up another power point (you can't plug 2 next to each other) and you're using the extra power to run the other one
If you really want both, I would go the STC
I've found i only need to swap between the 2 once the seasons change, but I'll be getting a few STCs anyway when i build my 3V rig, keezer and get a bigger fermenting fridge (using a bar fridge right now)

sp0rk said:
Then you're taking up another power point (you can't plug 2 next to each other)
:icon_offtopic: Not that it is relevant but I wired a power socket and switch in my STC box and have one stc powered via the other box. No need to bend down to the powerpoint then. I have a power socket in another one too and have the fan for my keezer plugged into that.

Cough up the extra coin for a STC-1000, if you are using it for a fermenting fridge the STC has the ability to add a compressor delay - in essence it is an extra bit of protection to save your fridge if the temp fluctuates quickly and often

I wouldn't waste my money on these yum-cha devices

Some good comments!

For those worried about cooling and heating, well I still think it's pretty good value at ~$21 for two of these, vs building a STC-1000 case etc.

Also without the compressor delay - effectively the +/-1 degree resolution will inadvertedly increase the amount of time before it kicks the fridge on again. Though you have little control over the specifics.

One comment I hadn't thought of til now - it does away with the worry for those people who aren't confident with wiring 240V - potentially life threatening.

For now I'm using one, and so is a mate. I'll report back if/when they blow up! But for now I feel it's a tidy little unit. My STC is sidelined for now :)

I don't understand, why would you sideline a better device (stc) for something inferior?

Amber Fluid said:
I don't understand, why would you sideline a better device (stc) for something inferior?
I would say confidence of playing with 240v. Which would make a good option for those that don't have access to a cheap sparky. I have a tempmate, 2 x stc and I just bought one of these. Mainly because its only 11 bucks delivered. Also found it funny that someone made comment about not buying one because of where its made.

Dont buy two
They will send you two more when first one is Shit
They did with me
But the two newer ones are still working ok
And the shit ones are temp reading wrong
You can compensate with higher or lower set temp and check temp with thermometer

worked well enough for a year before I gave it all away...

no problems to report. + sealed unit ready made blah blah. You're getting it cheaper than I did.

sp0rk said:
Then you're taking up another power point (you can't plug 2 next to each other) and you're using the extra power to run the other one
If you really want both, I would go the STC
I've found i only need to swap between the 2 once the seasons change, but I'll be getting a few STCs anyway when i build my 3V rig, keezer and get a bigger fermenting fridge (using a bar fridge right now)
I've tried using separate thermostats for heating and cooling. sucks. especially when they both start running at once.

I have one of those running my kegerator, works fine, although should have gone for an stc. They are more programmable, and versetile, and they look better. Ive since bought stc's for my fermenting fridge and hlt. Much better.

So your just kicking of temperature controlled home brew..$11.00...mad if you didn't give it a shot.

Back