New tap on 40L Crown Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobtheBrewer

Reaction score
I recently pulled apart the tap on my Crown Urn thinking that it might need a clean. It didn't really, but since I put it back together again it has a very slow leak. I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to change it for a ball valve tap. Major problem is that I can't get the old tap out of the urn. I need a 1 inch socket to undo the nut inside the urn. I don't want to scratch the inside of the urn by using any heavy duty gear like a monkey wrench, and I can't get enough purchase on the ring spanner that does fit. I may have to buy a socket (which I will probably never use again because the nut on the ball valve tap is 32mm, and I have got a socket for that). Any suggestions to keep me out of the tool shop gratefully accepted.

yeah i have to do mine aswell got ball valve sitting there ready to, tap is in there pretty good and tight

Birkdale Bob said:
I recently pulled apart the tap on my Crown Urn thinking that it might need a clean. It didn't really, but since I put it back together again it has a very slow leak. I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to change it for a ball valve tap. Major problem is that I can't get the old tap out of the urn. I need a 1 inch socket to undo the nut inside the urn. I don't want to scratch the inside of the urn by using any heavy duty gear like a monkey wrench, and I can't get enough purchase on the ring spanner that does fit. I may have to buy a socket (which I will probably never use again because the nut on the ball valve tap is 32mm, and I have got a socket for that). Any suggestions to keep me out of the tool shop gratefully accepted.
Any chance of carefully getting a shifter over the nut on the inside & turning the tap on the outside.
You might need a second set of hands though.

I just got a shifter on mine and carefully cracked it. Mine was new though so maybe heat up a bit of water in it to get things moving

I used a shifter on my Birko. My thread has pictures in it of how I did it. Keep the inside shifter straight and apply the force to the outside one.

I didn't do this myself, but I'm fairly certain it would work.

Before you try and undo the nut, run enough water into the urn to just cover the nut and then boil the water.

Drain the hot water out and then undo the nut (with a shifter), I reckon you will find it undoes easier.

Thanks for the suggestions. Went with Black Devil Dog, boiled some water, drained it and applied the ring spanner and off it came with the minimum of fuss. New ball valve ready for action.

Latest posts

Back