New Sydney Inner West brew shop opening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swap'n'go KegKing Co2 for me. Don't see why you can't do both...
White Labs AND Wyeast, if you can only supply one, please don't make me choose, I'll accept whichever way it goes

I don't see much of a point in stocking both whitelabs and wyeast. Unless you can shift both brands quick enough to keep fresh yeast from each on the shelves, you're shooting yourself in the foot a bit. Nobody wants 3 month out of date yeast (unless they're building up a few starters). My local stocks whitelabs, and I am happy with their offerings. It wouldn't make much of a difference to me at all if they suddenly switched to wyeast. From what I can tell, they have very similar offerings along most of their range.

The KegKing swap and go system seems to be very popular (but MyKegsOnLegs may well be too). I'm not kegging (yet), so I'm not familiar with all the options out there. It might be worth trying to find out what system most keggers in your area currently use. Blending in seamlessly would be the best bet (if at all possible).

I'm not local to Enmore itself, but I may come and have a look sometime anyway. I've referred on a few homebrewers who are in your area, and they seem pretty keen. One or two of them are still at kit or extract stage in their brewing. Will you have much in the way of kits and extracts for them?

Co 2 keg king swap for me, I'm only using dry yeast ATM. where exactly in enmore are you. I grew up around those woods. Remember a couple of busted knees playing league in enmore park. Is it down that end or up near Edgeware rd?

Cheers

MCHammo - Yeah that's my main concern, if we overstock on Yeast varieties we'll end up with a lot going out of date if they don't move. You're right in that the do have very similar offerings and there are conversion charts around that provide a Wyeast/Whitelabs equivalent.

TonyT - we're right near Enmore Park, just a bit further up Enmore Rd towards Newtown. It's 263 Enmore Rd, although we're not open just yet we should be ready to roll by the end of Jan.

As Keg King seems so popular I'll make sure we have a good arrangement to do Keg King cylinders for swap-overs.

Cheers guys!

Great to see another homebrew shop in Sydney, particularly the Inner West!

For years i've had to travel to Peakhurst or North Sydney to get basic supplies and order online to get bits and pieces. I've been dying for a local shop where I can walk in and buy everything in one go.

+1 Wyeast

I've used both White Labs and Wyeast and I much prefer the Wyeast smack packs.

hooray bout time we had a shop round here. i can get coffee from coffee alchemy and brew supplies from you in one fell swoop. i'll be a customer for sure. unless you're as ridiculously expensive as my closest lhbs in north sydney - usually works out much cheaper to order everything from queensland.... happy to pay a little bit more for convenience but within reason...

hoping you'll have weyermann and fawcetts everything.

Another keg king CO2 owner here.

Would prefer wyeast as these are harder to get locally.

MCHammo said:
I don't see much of a point in stocking both whitelabs and wyeast. Unless you can shift both brands quick enough to keep fresh yeast from each on the shelves
So, you do see a point in stocking both, If you can shift it, stock it.

Yeah really stoked that you guys will be opening up.

Only being new to the home brew game I'll be keen to pick your brains for knowledge, and hit your shop up for supplies.

I would be interested in a gas refill system and would have no problems leaving the tank there for a few days.

And another KegKing (6kg) user here, so +1 on that.

As yeast goes I'd say the same, White Labs is already available in Sydney, if with a bit of a drive or using express post and hoping for a coolish day.
I've used both and agree that the smack pack's a nice way to tell if the yeast still has any decent stamina to perform ;)
And if somewhere down the line you can complete the spectrum by adding the handful of White Labs specialties, things like their multi strain blends, or could get those in on special order, all the better.

Side note: You can find a good comparison chart between the two labs and their corresponding strains over at mrmalty.com

Oh yeah, as malt goes I'd agree with neonmeate, +1 for Weyermann, then TF

Glad you're choosing the "by the people, for the people" approach. Cheers!

Just a couple of quick shots from the peanut gallery, what about filling co2 in store instead of swap & go? I'd hate to need a fill but have to wait if you didn't have the same brand and size straight away.
For yeast Sydney seems to have a few WL suppliers already, Wyeast primary shelf stock but then maybe offer special ordering of WL strains... I'm a fan of Wyeast UK, Belgian and sour strains, but hear many comments about WL us strains been better? Would love to try them some time but it's all Wyeast up here in Newcastle .

Hi Mate

Best of luck, must say that being around this gig since 1993, there is no renaissance, it has only been growth from years before.

Just down the road at Alex with a brewery install and will be a WL site. Contact us any time.

Scotty

razshan, sounds great, I'm always happy for my brain to be picked. If I don't know the answer to a question I'll straight up admit that, but I'll help you figure out the right answer anyway!

eloschgimpel, no worries, we'll have some kegking 6kg cylinders for swapping. I'm also working on getting in Weyermann and Thomas Fawcett malts - although they might take a little longer. We're going to set up with a good selection of Wyeast, and we'd be able to special order in Whitelabs strains as needed. I'd seen that chart over at mrmalty - solid effort they made in putting it together. Figuring out which strains I need to order in straight away is good fun, just reading through their range is making me thirsty, I think I'll be putting on a saison with 3711 pretty soon. Glad you like the approach, I figure it's best to be transparent and try to get people what they want!

BeerNess, I hear you re: refills, at this point it's probably going to be prohibitively expensive/difficult for us to set up a refill station, but we'll see how we go with the swap overs and if the demand is there for on the spot refills we'd certainly consider it.

///Scotty, you're right, renaissance is probably the wrong word, but the interest in decent beer is still growing as it has been for years now and with it comes a wider interest in homebrew - I think it's brilliant.

Whats not to love about a new brew shop opening in Sydney?

Can you get oxygen bottles too please? These ones :D

I imagine there will be a fair turnover of them, reading about the rates of usage per brew.

Main O2 Set.jpg

Main%20O2%20Bottle%20Detail.jpg

Latest posts

Back