New plastic fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi
How many of you use plastic fermenters? New plastic food grade containers are
  • UV Stabilised
  • Food & Drug, BPA free material
I bought a stainless steel fv a while back and has been great but I got my hands on s small fridge that will fit a plastic fv. so I can have temp. control. Stainless is 0.5cm too big ... urghhh .

Everyone one pretty happy with plastic, no taste contamination? I know you can use bi carb now and again to clean.

Cheers

My two main fermentors are a SS Brewbucket and an original series Bunnings 30L "square format" water carrier. It's probably six years old now and in PC. Good soak overnight with perc, never ever use a scrubber in it, not even a nylon brush.. just those yellow Vileda cloths.
After perc, sanitise with Starsan or phosporic acid.

No problems whatsoever. I've got my name on a second Brewbucket when they land but the good old Bunnings job will still get a look in now and again I'm sure.

Bunnings have 2, square and round water containers 25 / 30 L and say can be used for home brew, round looks just like the coopers one. But they are now blue for uv I think so possible improvement.

When you say soak over night are you saying every time you use?

Thanks

That's right. Wash out thoroughly with yellow cloths and washing up liquid, but rinse thoroughly of course to get rid of that.
Then a third of a cup of perc (or similar strength of Oxy nappy stuff), fill with warm water to rim and leave overnight. I park mine next to a yard drain.
Then remove tap, hose out thread and interior of FV.

Lay on side. Dribble some Starsan into the thread and let it dribble down into the FV. Then use that as a lubricant to tighten up the (sanitised) tap. Pour in a litre of hot water, shake up and seal FV and put away for next use.

The Bunnings 30L are great because the top hole is perfect size for cling wrapping.

Bugger I was in Bunnings today and forgot to buy half a dozen new taps. Why didn't you post that yesterday... :doofus:

Soak in sod percarbonate overnight after each brew, give a rinse out first. After soaking I tip 90% into the washing machine and any crap in the bottom in the garden.

I use plastic - never soaked overnight, just clean it with warm water/chux & bleach after I've removed all the crud, the rinse a few times and leave to dry until next use. Starsan before I use it, never had an infection. I will be getting two of the Bunnings 30l ones though, as at present, I can only fit one fermenter in my ferm freezer.

Btw. Bought Coles laundry booster $2.50, unscented. Perfect beats 8.50 from other makers. Bunnings is opening down the road soon :)

Lay on side. Dribble some Starsan into the thread and let it dribble down into the FV. Then use that as a lubricant to tighten up the (sanitised) tap. Pour in a litre of hot water, shake up and seal FV and put away for next use.

No issues leaving starsan in plastic for a while? I always wondered because of the acidity...

HDPE is just about neutral to everything - my containers of pure Phosphoric Acid and Lactic Acid are made out of the same material as my fermenter.

Make sure it's hdpe (recycling symbol 2), clean, sanitised (between every brew, including the tap) and do not use bicarb.

Sodium percarbonate (not bicarbonate) is a good cleaner, followed by a rinse, followed by sanitiser of choice.

HDPE is just about neutral to everything - my containers of pure Phosphoric Acid and Lactic Acid are made out of the same material as my fermenter.
Yeah - come to think of it, pure starsan is sold in... Plastic containers. I really didn't think that through. Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back