New Microbrewery To Open On Phillip Island, Victoria.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppingMad

Ein Stein
Reaction score
Currently Phillip Island in Victoria has just one microbrewery called 'Rusty Waters'.

The beer has been contract brewed by Jamesons Brewery and transported there I gather. The stuff is 'okay' from what I've tried at expos, but the brewery itself doesn't have an amazing atmosphere I'm told from those who've visited. The name for the brewery has also been a source of great debate amongst my mates - whether the word 'rusty' has any great appetite appeal.

Now the news is there's a second brewery opening on the Phillip Island Tourist Road around Newhaven not far past the bridge on the way in. Details are sketchy at this stage but council has approved a permit for it and it will be on a site next to the Chocolate Factory there. Sounds like plans are in place, parking will be extended and it could well go ahead. If it does proceed it sounds like it could be a larger operation than the current brewery on the island - but who knows at this stage. As an aside, a few attempts have been made to build microbreweries around PI previously but due to much of the land being zoned for farming council often knocks them back. One previous application tried to get around that by saying they'd grow hops but to no avail. It got turfed out. Another difficulty is that the water quality on Phillip Island isn't fantastic which makes any new setup a challenge.

The info on this new brewery has come from a local paper down there, no internet articles or links I can find. Hopefully we get some decent brewing going on down there - I think the area would benefit from it. If I find out more I'll post it here.

Cheers & beers,

Hopper.

Currently Phillip Island in Victoria has just one microbrewery called 'Rusty Waters'.

The stuff is 'okay' from what I've tried at expos, but the brewery itself doesn't have an amazing atmosphere I'm told from those who've visited.
Not been there myself, but my mum's not a fan of the place. She took my left-over hop rhizomes over simply to give them away, thinking they'd like in growing some hop plants around the place, but they were not interested, pointing out that (obviously) they buy in all their beer making hops. What kind of beer establishment does not want fresh hops growing all over on a summer's day! :)

They live over the bridge and up the hill from the chocolate place, but it's line of sight and walking distance, so could be good if the new place goes ahead.

Last time I had Rusty Waters I called in a plumber.

Went for a bike-ride across the Island a few days ago, the wind picked up in the afternoon and was going to make the trip home more strenuous than it had to be, so I stopped at Rusty Waters and called someone to come pick me up.

The 'brewery' is next to A Maze 'n Things on one side and a motel on the other, and is opposite the Koala sanctuary place, which means it's on the main road to Cowes but a few km from town.
Venue is new and modern, with wood floorboards and furniture.
Tasting paddle was $15 and no beer substitutions were allowed "It comes as it is, it's just that way".

Rusty_Waters.jpg

(from left) Prickly Moses Summer Ale, Rusty Water Caramelized Banana Wheat Beer, Rusty Water Pure Pilsner, Rusty Water Koala Pale Ale.
They also had Jamieson's Raspberry on tap.

I'm not a beer-judge and mum always said "If you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all".
However, if I don't say anything people will ask, but even after riding a bike for hours on a warm windy day, the Prickly Moses beer was the only one that I finished.
The wheat beer was poured from a bottle, without rousing the yeast and I thought the roast malt was harsh with no noticeable caramel or banana.
Something with the Pilsner just wasn't how I like it, I was expecting nice floral/hops and a nice bitterness but quickly decided that I much prefer either the pils/German lager that I had in kegs back at the house.
The Pale Ale was far from pale/bright, and very much reminded me of cloudy, over-bittered, unbalanced, second-rate home-brew that I'd not ask for seconds of, even if it was free.
... I decided some time ago that life is too short to drink bad* beer ... so I don't if I can help it.

* Where bad is beer that I don't like. Some very popular beers fit into that category, but that does not mean I to drink them.

Im down in PI also. Saw rusty and thought it looked dodgy. Was going to stop in today and check it out, but maybe ill give it a miss.
Why equate ur brand name with a bad thing ie rust.
Wheat looks like weizenbock rather than a straight wheat.
Did u ask them/brewer any questions aboit the beers or were they just run of the mill local bar staff?

Anyways i thought the new brewery was going next to the chocolate factory?

Unfortunately I have to agree on Rusty Water, went to the Island nearly 6 months ago for a golf weekend with a few mates, and we went here for dinner on the Friday night. Food was good enough (hard to wreck a parma), but the beer was average.

Im down in PI also. Saw rusty and thought it looked dodgy. Was going to stop in today and check it out, but maybe ill give it a miss.
Why equate ur brand name with a bad thing ie rust.
Wheat looks like weizenbock rather than a straight wheat.
Did u ask them/brewer any questions aboit the beers or were they just run of the mill local bar staff?

Anyways i thought the new brewery was going next to the chocolate factory?
Stop in and see what you think, I'm no beer-judge and you might feel differently about their beer (if you're down there you may as well stop). :)

I attempted to ask a few questions, they contact brew at Jamieson using their own recipe, but anything more than that was too difficult for the barman to answer - said I needed to ask the other guy (who was too busy/distracted/uninterested).

I didn't notice any new development next to the chocolate place yet.

I've called into Rusty waters a few times with the missus after thrashing her at mini golf next door. (Okay she bet me last time but I let her win.) ;)

The food was always great and the beers drinkable. Certainly better than drinking megaswill at the pub in Cowes.

Last time I was chatting to the manager who said they are looking into brewing on premises and turning it into a micro brewery. Just going through the usual red tape.

carniebrew said:
Unfortunately I have to agree on Rusty Water, <snip /> but the beer was average.
From first-hand observation, I can now concur.

Tasted like my early extract attempts, under-attenuated, and the residual sugars not balanced with enough bitterness.

Steaks coming out of the kitchen smelled great though, and P.I.'s not exactly swamped in quality dining experiences. Hope they grow over time.

Back