New Member - building HERMS

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elteedee

Reaction score
Howdy,

Just starting out, decided to build a HERMS so I can start having fun with grain.
Just trying to sort out my electrics. I intend to run two elements one in HLT and one in Boil Kettle. I have two PID controllers and two magnetic drive pumps. Plumbing is easy, just looking up some wiring schematics. i have SSRs to switch the elements.
Schematics I found on internet have all been US based and we know they got different power.
Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
Luke

What size vessels are you talking about?

I have a keg for my HLT and find that a single element works well enough to bring it up to temp. I'd suggest you might want to put the 2 elements on your kettle instead, and just leave 1 for your HLT.

As for wiring, I don't have any schematics for you but short answer is you're really just switching the active (red/brown) wire into the element with your SSR. The rest is just getting power to the PID unit, and getting your SSR connected to your PID.

I did this for my coffee machine and it was fairly straight forward. Try an image search like this and see what it gives you: link

I haven't gone full electric myself, but I know guys who have and they wire it all up themselves and have a sparky just do the checks. Dunno if that was a mate of theirs or Joe Blogs out of the phone book though.

Thanks for the input,
I have adapted a schematic from what I have seen so far and will run it by a sparky (and yes also get him to check out before I flick the switch).
Let me know if you guys see any glaring faults so far... I plan to run a change over switch and two contractors to isolate HLT and Boil Kettle elements so only one can be switched on.

(Brown - Active / Blue Neutral - PID outputs to SSR Red/Black for 12V)

Cheers
Luke

View attachment HERMS Schematic.pdf

Back