New Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc64

Reaction score
I'm testing a new Techni-ice 80l esky outside at the moment that I will be using for my new mash tun. It has 25 litres of water in it so lot's of headspace, water after 2mins was at 70.6 after 45 minutes it's dropped to 66.2. I have checked at the 30 minute mark as well so that lost some temperature there. It's down to 7 degress outside so I'm thinking this is a good result. My question is should I do something about the headspace as Ill be brewing single batches mainly?

Also I'm hoping to pick up a brown pump to move the wort around and was wondering how do people transfer from mash tun to boil kettle, do you just crack open the ball valve after vorlauf and let the pump run or is there something else to it? Probaly a stupid question but I'm used to asking plenty of those. Any tips appreciated. Cheers.

To minimise heat loss when doing single batches, lay some alfoil over the mash. Then a piece of camping mat cut to fit your esky pushed down over the alfoil works a treat.

Cheers.

I gravity drain the Mash
But i pump the sparge water so i can constrict the flow ( fly sparge )

Thanks for the al-foil camp mat tip, will use that for my first mash test. Might try to dodge up a three tier system until I can get a pump I think.

I use A 80ltr techni ice and I boil a 2ltr kettle put it in
half hour Before I dough in and I get 1c drop over an hour.
In the mash

You need to remember that water alone will lose temperature much quicker than a grain and water Mash.
Pre Heat as 2m2s says or set up your software to allow for a cold tun and you will be right.
Cheers
Nige

Thanks for the tips, thought it would lose temperature quicker without the grain. I'll preheat with the kettle as well to help keep the temperature up. Cheers.

Back