New Kmart cubes are a joke

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbienewbie

Reaction score
Ok so I bought a new cube from Kmart to replace the old willow one I'm using as a secondary fermenter, and it's not very good. The plastic feels flimsy, and getting the lid to seal when the cube is full of hot wort is an ordeal. I had a look online and it doesn't look like Rays sells the willow cubes any more either. Does anywhere still stock them?

As in the blue-ish willow ones? I got my blue willow from big w, and I think super cheap may have had willow brand ones when I was there last

Spotted them in Big W yesterday while I was picking up some eski cold bricks. Around $23 for the 20L Jerry.
IIRC that's about what I was paying at Bunnings five years ago :blink: :blink:

Masters have them too. Last time I tried to find willow cubes at k-mart, they had stopped stocking and only had collapsible water containers.

I have a few of the blue willow containers, they sell them at supercheap but the new ones arent quite as robust as the old ones I have. They tend to not lock onto the lid thread as tight as they are thinner plastic. The best cube I have now is a jim beam plastic drum 20 litre I got from a pub. Its super sturdy and i use it as a fermenter also same as what you do mants.

I use Fresh Wort Kit containers for my no-chill/fermenters. The initial FWK purchase price is greatly offset by subtracting the cost of an empty 'cube' (and perhaps dubious quality...) and the FWK supplied yeast.

Cheers

I have one new Willow and one BMW clear cube. The BMW is far better. The Willow has trouble sealing. Both were available from Super Cheap Auto.

How much did it cost? I'm pretty sure when you answer that question, you will know why its poor quality.

I've got a BMW 23L one. It was great for my last batch. Going to pick up two of the 10L cubes from Bunnings next time I'm there and try them out rather than a single cube.

BMW cubes are so much better than Willow cubes.

I had 4 Willow cubes and took them all back for a refund because they all leaked around the cap on my first ever batches.

I've had 4 BMW cubes for over 2 years and they've never leaked once.

Black Devil Dog said:
BMW cubes are so much better than Willow cubes.

I had 4 Willow cubes and took them all back for a refund because they all leaked around the cap on my first ever batches.

I've had 4 BMW cubes for over 2 years and they've never leaked once.
Yeah I've got two bmw cubes and they are great.

All my cubes are Primus branded from Anaconda (3x20l and 4x25l) and were $20 or $25 depending on size. I've used them as wort cubes and fermentors and find the standard tap from my LHBS seals tighter on these than on Bunnings' cubes or jerry cans. I've found with the Bunnings' ones that I can't get the tap nice and tight unless the tap is at about the 8 o'clock position or I add an extra oring

Blind Dog said:
. I've found with the Bunnings' ones that I can't get the tap nice and tight unless the tap is at about the 8 o'clock position or I add an extra oring
Another o ring thats what i should have done, friggin hard to bottle when the taps pointing up in the air

Latest posts

Back